Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possibly looking for a partner

While I have been a registered member since April 2013, I have been an avid follower for several years prior, love Hatteras boats and am in awe of the knowledge available on this forum. I have been in the search for the right boat while my timeline for making the move for a boat has unfolded over the last couple of years. I am now very close to making a move back to Florida, most likely the Treasure Coast (Vero Beach/Ft. Pierce Inlet) area and will be actively seeking my next boat. Usage will probably be 60 per cent cruising, coastal and Bahamas and 40 per cent fishing, coastal and offshore. My boating experience has been mostly 20 to 30 foot fishing boats which I took offshore out of the Ft. Pierce inlet. As I get older (64) I am looking forward to adding cruising to my lifestyle (that meant something entirely different back in the 70’s) and would like to have a boat that would be comfortable for a few weeks at a time. My favorite Hatteras for this purpose would probably be the 48LRC (great cruiser with cockpit for fishing. However, they are all, when available $200K and above my price range. My price range has lead me to 43 to 46 convertibles. The 48CPMY is also a great boat for my stated usage but there are very few of them on the market. Every time I find another brand of boat that might meet my needs (Viking, Tollycraft, Chis Craft etc., logging back onto this forum convinces me that having Hatteras, Sams Marine, and all of you on this forum are more than worth the extra money I may have to invest in the boat as no other brand has this level of support for boats of this age and pricing. I have also learned from the forum that it is not so much the purchase price but the ownership costs that dictate what you can and cannot afford. That being said, it would be interesting to see just how many followers of this forum who like me are looking to invest in a vintage Hatteras would be interested in joint ownership. Obviously, we would all prefer to be sole owner/operators of our vessels and believe me, I know that joint ownership can be a nightmare if you are not in the right partnership, legally and operationally. However, if set up correctly , an LLC with the proper guidelines agreed to up front can allow access for the right folks to get on the water in the boat of their dreams at half the costs. I am not naive to the pitfalls of joint ownership and I am sure there is plenty of historical examples to that end available from the veterans on the forum but I am sure there is also evidence of great examples of like minded families enjoying the ownership with similar goals and the responsibility to return the vessel to the dock in the condition they would want to find it.
    So just to satisfy my curiosity, how many are now or have ever been in co-ownerships with your vessels and what has been your experience and advice? And how many of you out there follow this forum and have thought about finding a another, preferably HOF’er that either lives near you or has a second home nearby who could be a candidate for a partnership in owning one of this great boats?

Re: Possibly looking for a partner

Yes, that LRC is da bomb for sure, and they are expensive. I just happen to have a 43 MY that is on the market and I think it is a perfect boat for the ICW and Bahamas. It wont put you in the poor house and burns 3.5-4.0 gph @7 kts. We have been aboard for a little over 3 1/2 yrs and its very comfortable. I havent gotten cabin fever yet. I would stay with a Hatteras for purchasing since it has a good name and resale. I've seen other boats you listed on your search and none really stands out with the exception of the hatteras. Having a partnership would be a good thing for owning an airplane which I couldnt even afford the gas. A 43' Hatteras you might could get into without a partner. Check this out..

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.U6M7hvldWSo
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Pate say it aint so! You are selling your boat? Are you getting out of the boating business or are you going to a blow boat?

Yeah, I know, I hate it. Well, love the boat but want a blow boat to travel to other countries. I'm getting tired of the ICW and tired of doing brightwork and cleaning isenglass. Seems like all I do is work at Nuc plants and work on the boat. Well, sorry for hykacking the thread.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    Yeah, I know, I hate it. Well, love the boat but want a blow boat to travel to other countries. I'm getting tired of the ICW and tired of doing brightwork and cleaning isenglass. Seems like all I do is work at Nuc plants and work on the boat. Well, sorry for hykacking the thread.
    Pate,

Before you sell, I'd suggest you charter a SB for a month and be sure you like it. Most folks go the other way around. And from what I've seen, most blow boats have at least as much bright work. All I do on my 48 is add a coat of Cetol each year. It was last wooded down by a PO about 2002.

Bobk

Some Sail boats dont have any brightwork at all. Also, my work requires me to travel from the carolinas to Homestead/ Stuart and back and forth. I dread the ICW in the summer. For instance, I need to be in Homestead for work on Sept. 10th. That work requires me to leave Charleston the last week of August. I would like to be able to go off shore for three days and be done with the trip. Last Sept in the ICW like to killed me. It was way to hot to be traveling. Unfortunately my schedule allows me to travel in the hottest times of the year. I'm just really tired of the ICW and shallow water. Its not that I want a sail boat because I just want to sail, but its just that I want to go off shore and go 24/7 without the heat. My boat is on the hard at American Custom and we will return Sept 2nd and splash the boat and run down to Gilberts (Key Largo) for the two month job. I hate schedules too. Ha-ha.
    Last edited by magnawake; 06-20-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Randy,

We haven't spoken in awhile. Heck, if you want a partner just go down to my boat and fill the tanks. I will tell you where the key is hidden and you can pull it right over to Joyner marina and fill her up. After filling the tanks, you would be about a 25% partner.

In all seriousness, I know of a couple partnerships over the last several years and all three have turned out to be bad things. In one case the guys will not even speak to each other anymore and I thought all three were reasonable people prior to the partnership. All used to fish together. I don't know of any successful partnerships where the partners actually use the boat. I do know of one where its strictly business and neither person ever uses the boat.

For what its worth, wife and I are talking about possibly going down this Sunday or the next to piddle around the boat, if you and your wife would like to go along let me know. That would get me out of more chores, ha! I still haven't finished all the head remodels and she is getting impatient.

Let me know if you would like to do a day trip sometime soon. There is also a 48LRC on the next dock over we could check out.

After that we could talk with Pate and get him back in his right mind. He has been just down the way in Southport but decided to go to Florida awhile back, the heat must be getting to him.

Pate, If you want to call me I can hook you up with my father. He has a 40ft Hunter sailboat (lives on Ono Island in Orange beach Al) and has sailed all thru the Bahamas and southern Caribbean.

Its fun for the first week or two (my son has spent a couple of summers with him on the boat) after that I'm not so sure. Somewhere along the way the drive to use no power and never run the generator got old. If you are serious however, Dad could give you lots of pros and cons, heck he would probably let you use the boat for a few weeks.

Thanks for responding Lee. After a couple of hundred views and no replies I was starting to wonder if I had touched on a taboo subject. I would obviously rather have a boat all to ourselves that I can afford and that is my prime objective. As I stated above its not so much the purchase but the long term ownership costs that will drive which boat I make a decision on. Thank you for the invite to spend a day on your Yachtfish. It sounds like a lot of fun and something we should plan on. I will give you a call and we sure up. I got the opportunity to pilot a 44 Tollycraft CPMY down in Ft Lauderdale last month and now have an idea of what it is like to move a boat of that size around a bit. I am hooked!
    Thank you too Magnawake for your offer. I am a fisherman at heart and will want to have some form of cockpit on whatever I wind up buying; but I still would like to have stairs over ladders, certainly as I get older.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by season View Post
    I am a fisherman at heart and will want to have some form of cockpit on whatever I wind up buying; but I still would like to have stairs over ladders, certainly as I get older.
    Randy
    I'm 100% with you on stairs. My trawler had the MY/sun deck layout as does the current 48MY which I bought when I was 70. It is the way to go.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    Some Sail boats dont have any brightwork at all. Also, my work requires me to travel from the carolinas to Homestead/ Stuart and back and forth. I dread the ICW in the summer. For instance, I need to be in Homestead for work on Sept. 10th. That work requires me to leave Charleston the last week of August. I would like to be able to go off shore for three days and be done with the trip. Last Sept in the ICW like to killed me. It was way to hot to be traveling. Unfortunately my schedule allows me to travel in the hottest times of the year. I'm just really tired of the ICW and shallow water. Its not that I want a sail boat because I just want to sail, but its just that I want to go off shore and go 24/7 without the heat. My boat is on the hard at American Custom and we will return Sept 2nd and splash the boat and run down to Gilberts (Key Largo) for the two month job. I hate schedules too. Ha-ha.
    Pate!

Selling your Hatt! The Hatteras Gods are going to to turn over in their grave.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.