Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Gulfstream Yacht Service

As kids we all think our dad's are the best in the world. I just recently turned 25 (sure i'm still a kid compared to most on this site) and I still think my old man is the best. His name is Buddy Smith, owner of Gulfstream Yacht Service Inc. based in New Bern, NC. I've been told by those who know him that he's one of the top Hatteras Yachts mechanics around.

Starting next month I will most likely begin working for him full-time. My hopes are to someday know as much as Buddy and take over the business. My dad is known for his quality work and that is one of the biggest things I have learned from him.

If anybody has any foresight as to what I should be doing to make this happen, please let me know. I want to know what magazines I should be reading, what websites I should be browsing. Any help would be great.

Also, I've never been able to find a good troubleshooting manual for most of the systems on Hatteras Yachts. Is there one out there??? I've thought that if there is not, we (you and my dad) can compile everyone's questions, answers and tips in a book, or website dedicated solely to troubleshooting Hatteras'.

Very Respectfully,

Ray Smith IV

Re: Gulfstream Yacht Service

Have you talked to Steve McPherson of SAMS Marine? I would think that if your dad does alot of work on Hatteras Yachts, he is probably a good customer of SAMS, since they are the only source for many of the old Hatteras OEM parts. Steve is a very knowledgable guy and I'm sure he could give you some pointers as to how to gain more experience and knowledge about these boats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

you may want to join Boat Diesel, many members of Sams Forum are members of that as well. You may also want to scan other web sites, such as Boat Us etc. also read david pasco's site, Yachtsurvey.com, you may also want to purchase some of his books

I think that the items that makes Hatteras stand out from other production boats are not items that you need to service, such as design,construction, durability of hull. Therefore become versed with all boats, most have the same systems in them.

Become versed in gas and diesel engines, gas and diesel generators, all a/c systems, electrical, plumbing, also learn about bonding systems etc.

most of all as you will see from this site, quality work is #1, most of the owners do not like yard mechanics or even contractors because of sloppy work.

give the client more than they expect and more than they pay for, such as if you see oil in bildge, clean it up at no charge. if you are working on engine but see a wiring problem in another area, fix it and dont charge for it. A life long friend of mine was in the land clearing business, started out with nothing, got a tractor and an old dump truck and started digging pools for pool companies, that was 40 years ago. Today his company is still small but very successful, example he just sold one of many properties that housed his business for 5 million dollars, property was free and clear. His success was based on solid business ethics and he always gave the customer more than they paid for.

one last thought, another thing that makes Hatteras stand out is the boat owners. Members of this site and other owners are fanatical about their boats, pride and joy etc. A mechanic with same passion will most likely be very successful.

As far as troubleshooting manuals...Most boat owners probably have a file box with individual manuals of all the individual components. Component manuals are supplied with the boat but since the components vary on each boat, the manuals will vary as well. None of the systems equipment on a Hatt is unique to Hatts and each boat is different so a Hatt system troubleshooting guide per se doesn't really exist. The blueprints supplied with the boat provide all the sytem layout info that is required. Although the basic layout for each series was essentially the same, the diagrams may vary from boat to boat depending on the original installation. The diagrams for every Hatt produced can be obtained from Hatt by supplying the hull number and giving them money!

Example - our 53's original "papers" came with separate Galley Maid manuals for each piece of Galley Maid equipment. A Hatt down the marina came with different heads and, therefore, different head manuals. The same was true of all the other original boat system components - from water pumps to radios, to generator, etc. I have two file boxes alphabetically divided for all the manuals.

I have found that all of the various system components have manuals available from the manufacturer - either hard copy or PDF files. Galley Maid sent me original hard copies of the 1980 oem waste system manual at no charge - they even paid for postage! (After I called them, I found the original manual was actually on the boat - the previous owner filed it under "G." I had looked under "W" and "H."

As far as the best websites to browse for Hatt knowledge? The best one is the one you are on right now! I'm beginning to think that collectively we know more than anyone about these boats. This is also a good one (requires an annual fee): http://boatdiesel.com/

Good luck in your efforts. The boating world needs technicians whose work ethic isn't to replace everything until something finally fixes the problem.

Majority of the work will be the propulsion system. As mentioned "give the client more than they paid for and he will be back" and will talk positive about you and your shop during BBQ and or coffee BS. A very small example is Tie Wraps when install cut the ends off, why let it be ugly and may even blind someones crawling around the engine room and the extended tail of the wrap poke him in the eye. Upon completion of work use a rag and some type of spray and wipe cleanner to tidy up. And lastly bring your own shop rags and tools. James

Your desire is admirable and should be the guide posts for all of us, no matter the business we find ourselves in. Spend most of your time listening to your customers - I mean really listening, learning what it is they truly want you to accomplish for them. Then, spend the rest of your time exceeding their expectations. In any way, in every small way. It will your personal integrity and honesty which will travel faster than lighting. Say what you mean and do what you say. Genuine interest in delivering value to your customer will serve you best and always. Us guys, the satisfied customers will make your business and reputation soar. Trust me, it is really just this simple.

Bear' StratPlan61