Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day

Bad Day

Just tied at the Wharf in Orange Beach. On one of the shore power lines I show 0 hertz and 100volts. Swapped the line to a known good, same issue. Put a new end on the cord a few month back.. could it be a loose wire?

Re: Bad Day

Whats on the pedestal?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

This is a bad day......went to lower the Whaler, the remote winch control quit ,bad burnt smell $ 400.00 plus shipping..

The pedestal says 50 amp 125/250. It has 2 plugs and two sides. Took the low volt line to other side of pedestal and tried both outlets, same no hertz, 100v... my bad day was trying to hove to short of Pensacola Pass because of a bad thunderstorms. Getting my whalers tow line fouled in the prop and parting the line, setting the dinghy adrift in 30 kt winds... film at 11.00

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The pedestal says 50 amp 125/250. It has 2 plugs and two sides. Took the low volt line to other side of pedestal and tried both outlets, same no hertz, 100v... my bad day was trying to hove to short of Pensacola Pass because of a bad thunderstorms. Getting my whalers tow line fouled in the prop and parting the line, setting the dinghy adrift in 30 kt winds... film at 11.00
    Thats ok it didn't cost you money so the canook wins.

seriously can you test the outlets on the pedestal?

With the frequency at 0, I wonder if the power is off somewhere. Also did you test your cords for continuity?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yep, got a voltmeter on board, I'll check after dinner, but I'm a thinking i lost a lead out of the plug

Just a suggestion but they do sell floating tow rope, I use it when anchored up swimming, put a seat coushion on the end and let it play out. Anyone drifting away can swim to the rope and pull themselves back.

Check the wires on the back side of the bulkhead fitting, next junction might be a transformer on your boat, before the circuit panel.

Bill
    Bill

Ahhhh,, memories...left Bimini in 1991, deck hand fishing off the upper deck, whaler being towed, he caught a "cuda, yelled,, :stop the boat, have a fish" yuppers..tow line caught, thank goodness I had installed spurs...
    So finally we get to Mo Bay in Jamaica and the "cuda was still in the freezer, bottomfish so no way way were we going to eat it, he asked around the dock and was told, "take a piece of the fish, lay it under a Palm tree and if the ants eat it it's good, geeeeeee, I think he stayed up all night watching, the ants never touched it, was fun though....

make sure everything is o k at the pedestal. where in the wharf are you? some of the outside face dock water doesn't work since the major rain and flooding they had about 3 weeks ago, not sure about the electric. are you going to be there over the weekend? we are on the g dock slip 85 (the scratched up 58 yachtfish). will be there in the am saturday, would like to meet ya'll if you are still around.

Thanks Bill, I'm outside under the bridge. I'm pretty sure it's me. I took line 2, good 240 line, plugged it in to line 1, got the same 100v and 0 hertz. Tried it on the other side in line 1 and had the same issue. What are the symptoms of a failed transformer? PS, now I get nothing except a dimly lit line 1 indicator light on the panel. Headed for bobbys tomorrow