Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: My Desire III...1977 Hatteras 58' Motor Yacht

If you are looking for a bit larger and to do some chartering and to live aboard, I own a 70' MY, 1974 that I would like to trade down in size now. I'm located in the St. Louis area and are planing a trip to Kentucky Lake last two weeks of August if you are still looking and think she would suit your needs. Happy to show her off!

Re: My Desire III...1977 Hatteras 58' Motor Yacht

Will PM you.

Jay

Hello Good People, Nice to meet you !

A theoretical enquiry. This thread is a little dated but I've just had a look over "My Desire III " with a penchant to purchase her pending other vessel inspections. Am in Florida presently on task.

My Desire III fits needs despite her age, but I would greatly appreciate knowledge from similar Hatteras owners.

I want to sail her to Australia - ( should I actually make the purchase, pending her being still available and favourable survey, I know, should've said G'Day )

The questions I have bear directly to Range, Reliability and Serviceability. The engines are aged but seem to be prolific amongst motor yachts of this vintage. What sort of fuel burn can I expect from her, ie at 6Kts ? 8.5 Kts ? 10 Kts ? I am thinking at cruise of 8.5 kts in fair weather, a fuel burn of 1.25 to 1.5 nmpg ? Is this a fair assumption ? In any case, nowhere enough fuel onboard to make the journey as I see it.

I'm keen on the the Hatteras 58 Classic and 58 Yachtfish models, just a goodly amount of room. The sportfish versions would be great but the fuel usage and range considerations are too hard to accommodate in comparison the the Classic and Yachtfish.

There are a few nice smaller models available but with a crew of 6+, more space the better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers

SefKay

I don't believe I would try that delivery (or even be on board during it!)! A 42 Kady a few slips over from me in Stuart was sold to an Aussie a month ago. They are sending it down under on a ocean going vessel and the cost is around $40,000.00 US. I can get some specifics for you if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by sefkay View Post
    I want to sail her to Australia - ( should I actually make the purchase, pending her being still available and favourable survey, I know, should've said G'Day )
    This boat cannot make it to Australia on her own bottom unless you have a fuel tanker as your companion. You will have to ship it.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Hello Good People, Nice to meet you !

A theoretical enquiry. This thread is a little dated but I've just had a look over "My Desire III " with a penchant to purchase her pending other vessel inspections. Am in Florida presently on task.

My Desire III fits needs despite her age, but I would greatly appreciate knowledge from similar Hatteras owners.

The questions I have bear directly to Range, Reliability and Serviceability. The engines are aged but seem to be prolific amongst motor yachts of this vintage. What sort of fuel burn can I expect from her, ie at 6Kts ? 8.5 Kts ? 10 Kts ? I am thinking at cruise of 8.5 kts in fair weather, a fuel burn of 1.25 to 1.5 nmpg ? Is this a fair assumption ? In any case, nowhere enough fuel onboard to make the journey as I see it.

I'm keen on the the Hatteras 58 Classic and 58 Yachtfish models, just a goodly amount of room. The sportfish versions would be great but the fuel usage and range considerations are too hard to accommodate in comparison the the Classic and Yachtfish.

There are a few nice smaller models available but with a crew of 6+, more space the better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers

SefKay

That's not a boat for that long of a crossing. If your Broker is not explaining that get a new one. Shipping her 5o Australia will probably be $50k.less than the fuel if she could hold enough to make it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks rasdelman, is there somewhere on the net I can see some pictures and data please. Unfortunately, I'm heading to Key West tomorrow, and then time here in US at an end. Hopefully I'll be back in October to continue with a chosen boat.

Cheers . . sefkay

Hi People, thanks for replies. greatly appreciated.

OK, I hear the questions and advice but tell me why it is not a good boat. Yes, I understand fuel issues which can be addressed to some extent with additional storage onboard.

The 53 ft and 58 ft Hatts ( Classics and similar ) are relatively heavy boats, have a nice bow and a fairly decent hull form. Not efficient, but decent nonetheless. The draft seems adequate for the size and height, haven't heard of any defect reports on their stability. The helm stations are more than adequate and the accommodations are comfortable. The machinery is off the shelf, though old and fuel thirsty, relatively reliable and easier than some to service.

Budgeting for fuel would be easy if I could get some accurate fuel figures, actually imperative as figuring on a 2125 nM ocean crossing and wanting a healthy 30 to 40 % reserve, needs some planning. Figures of 1.25 to 1.5 gals / nM are thrown at me but nobody actually said, 'calm sea's at x.x G/nM " or 10 gals an hour at 7 kts '.

Picking the right time for a crossing is a challenge too, however, I'm not planning to leave in the next week or two. Won't happen for a couple of years, gives time to ask, investigate, watch and learn as much as possible about boat, weather, tax and fuel issues.

Other hurdles that an Australian bound boat faces are the import duties, the quarantine inspections and other taxes that fall due on arrival, and before that it needs a permit to import it in the first place. Now, if you figure that the boat will use a tanker full of fuel on which tax is paid in one way or another, then also, the vessels import duty is calculated on the value of the boat, the value of the fuel and the value of the crew and their upkeep. Sorta sobers you up a bit.

Over to the forum !

Thanks in advance

Budgeting for fuel would be easy if I could get some accurate fuel figures, actually imperative as figuring on a 2125 nM ocean crossing and wanting a healthy 30 to 40 % reserve, needs some planning. Figures of 1.25 to 1.5 gals / nM are thrown at me but nobody actually said, 'calm sea's at x.x G/nM " or 10 gals an hour at 7 kts '.

Picking the right time for a crossing is a challenge too, however, I'm not planning to leave in the next week or two. Won't happen for a couple of years, gives time to ask, investigate, watch and learn as much as possible about boat, weather, tax and fuel issues.
    The 58MY is a good boat - I have one and love her, but I think you're missing everyone's point - you CANNOT cross an ocean with that boat. She only has 775 gallons of fuel capacity. If you are trying to figure fuel for a 2125nM trip, you need to look at another boat, or find a fuel tanker to travel in tandem with you. This boat has nowhere near that range, even if you loaded up every flat surface on it with fuel bladders. That boat has been for sale for nearly 10 years, if not that and more, and sat idle for most of those years. She will need a few thorough shake-downs to clear the demons, or at least get to know them and learn how to deal with them, if the guy that recently acquired her has not already done that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Dockwise has a ship from Florida to Brisbane in December. That would be a choice worthy of consideration IMHO.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750