Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Desire III...1977 Hatteras 58' Motor Yacht

Anyone familiar with this boat for sale...

http://showroom.auction123.com/harbo...151094.html#lg

It is located in Harbortowne Marina in Vonore, TN. Was previously owned by Captain Bib (anyone heard of or know him?).

I am going to look at the boat tomorrow. Would like to get some history or background from anyone who might be familiar with it.

Thoughts on the price? Value?

Re: My Desire III...1977 Hatteras 58' Motor Yacht

She looks fairly clean, quite dated, rather original. You'd certainly want a thorough engine survey. If they are asking 159,000 she might be a pretty decent deal if the surveys don't turn up anything to be frightened of.

They think she needs an electronics upgrade. I agree. Fortunately, this is not nearly the most expensive thing to do on this yacht.

I can't tell how the exterior finish looks; photos aren't informative enough. That would be a major item, if she needed paint.

I looked at her 4 years ago when they were asking 300k and it was overpriced for the condition. I understand it has had some improvements since ant the price is much better. No idea about mechanical condition. I ended up buying her sister ship from the same year.

Where are you from and how long will you be in the area? Send me a pm with your phone # if you want to talk or come see Windsong in Knoxville.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Can't tell you anything about the boat, but Jim Bibb is a first class guy. Haven't seen him in a number of years, but he's a straight shooter who was always meticulous with his boats, especially the mechanical end of it. We both kept boats at Fort Loudoun Dam Marina years ago.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

For what it's worth, I saw the boat yesterday. As you might imagine, it is a bit long in the tooth. It is now in the possession of the owner of the Harbortowne Marina in Vonore, TN. They have done a complete bottom job and some minor (replaced the carpet throughout) interior upgrades. IMHO, it would require considerably more work to be an acceptable live aboard (which was what I am interested in). I have a 43 DCMY. Was thinking of going to a 53 or larger to get more live aboard space. Having spent three hours going over My Desire III, I have come to the conclusion that I have the best Hatteras on the TN River for the money and will not be looking to go up in boat (size). That 58 is just too much boat (and headaches or $$$$) for one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Can't tell you anything about the boat, but Jim Bibb is a first class guy. Haven't seen him in a number of years, but he's a straight shooter who was always meticulous with his boats, especially the mechanical end of it. We both kept boats at Fort Loudoun Dam Marina years ago.
    Hi Randy. I saw My Desire III yesterday. I was given a bit of the history. Jim Bibb purchased the boat from the original owner, the founder of O'Charley's Restaurants, and was the only owner since the new owner Tony Hale of Harbortowne Marina. The current owner came in possession of the vessel from the estate of Captain Bibb. FYI, Captain Bibb passed away in November of 2013. Here is a link to his obit. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sal...?pid=168079617

BTW, I see you are a 100 Ton Masters Captain. I am thinking of getting the license (registration) myself. Would be interested in speaking with you about the subject. Can I PM or give you a call sometime? Jay

I'm sorry to hear of Jim's passing. I'll be happy to talk to you about whatever you like. Will PM you my phone number.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I looked at that boat years go, before I bought Sanctuary. My Desire III has been on the market constantly for at least 9 years that I know of...probably more. The boat was way overpriced back then and the price never changed over the years while the economy continued to tank. I have no idea what she is like today, but she was very, very original back in 2005 (right down to some of the drapery) with the exception of the smallest stateroom at the bottom of the stairs from the PH (the area that would be the galley on a galley-down boat). He turned that into an office. I would have wanted to turn it back into a stateroom, but that's neither here nor there anymore. Has the boat even left the slip in all these years? What she does have going for her is that she has been under cover in fresh water all these years. I have a boatload of photographs of that boat somewhere.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I just looked at the newest listing from the link above. WOW...she looks a whole lot better than she did when I saw her. Looks like nearly everything inside was tossed out and replaced - appliances, furniture, carpet, etc. and the price is about half now. There used to be so much clutter on the galley countertop that you couldn't tell what the surface finish was.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I just looked at the newest listing from the link above. WOW...she looks a whole lot better than she did when I saw her. Looks like nearly everything inside was tossed out and replaced - appliances, furniture, carpet, etc. and the price is about half now. There used to be so much clutter on the galley countertop that you couldn't tell what the surface finish was.
    Hello Angela...thanks for the feedback. With the exception of the "new" galley, carpet throughout, and the bottom job, all else on My Desire III is pretty much as you described. Original equipment that is now in a state of deterioration and definitely in need of upgrades and TLC. As well, much of the mechanical is vintage. As I stated earlier in the thread, too much boat (as in work) for me.

I see you run a charter business out of Florida. I am entertaining the notion of doing the same here on the Tennessee River and Gulf (Mobile to NOLA or possibly Mexico). Most likely will start small with day cruises, some overnights and company events. Would be interested in learning more about your experience with running a charter business.