Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anchor chain

Anchor chain

Can I ask for opinions on anchor chain size. The Ideal windlass fitted to my boat, 42' convertible, by Hatteras has a 1/4" wildcat on it, I can only assume Hatteras considered 1/4" size chain sufficient. I was going to fit a larger wildcat and chain but Ideal want $1000 for a new 3/8" wildcat.
    Any thoughts?

Re: Anchor chain

I think the 1/4 is around 1500 lbs working load and the 3/8 about twice that. What do you feel you need?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well, ask me a question about diving, apparently I'm a professional at that! Boats blowing around in the wind, I haven't a clue.
    I've been on internet trawler forums and anchor manufacturer sites and they seem to recommend around 3/8" for heavy 40' size boats. I believe the ABYC guidelines for a 40' boat give horizontal load of 2400lbs for a storm. 1/4" high test chain is 2600lbs WLL. Just ok but then Mantus anchor site and others then then go on to recommend 5/16" minimum and 3/8" for heavier boats....
    Just need more opinions until someone agrees 1/4" is ok!

This thread made me pull out Hintz. According to him, proof coil would be 1250 working; BBB would be 1325 and high test 2600. Some wildcats require BBB due to the smaller link size.

Went a few chapters further and he recommends a CGR or Delta of 35# and 3/8 proof coil for you size, and IMHO your higher weight to length. I have a Fortress and went to a larger FX 85, 3/4 strand and 25' of 1/2 chain for our 54 EDMY (almost 80,000 lb displacement).

Last year I had the same decision in the end I decided to keep the 1/4" chain as I didn't want to buy a new chain gypsy I believe I used HT g-4 chain, on a 66lb claw
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

I always thought Hatteras sized the gypsy for lunch stops. I changed from 1/4" BBB to 200' 3/8" HT as soon as I bought the 48MY (44000 pounds per brochure, 54000 cruising weight per scales). The old gypsy sold very quickly.

Bobk

Still the question of what you think you'll need is open. On a convertible your less likely to anchor through lots of storms. If your living on the hook alot thats different.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think I need something a bit bigger. I do tend to anchor out even when fishing, It's often quicker to get going in the morning and we cruise a fair bit in the Bahamas and again anchor most of the time. With less weather info over there It's easier to get caught out.
    Trouble is, the easy answer without knowledge is to go bigger but surely Hatteras based their sizing on something. The Coast Guard guidelines I think are WLL of 1/8 the displacement giving around 3750lbs. Just can't seem to find anything that says the 1/4" is ok.

Our 1980 53MY came with 1/4" chain on an Ideal windlass. I would never argue against the concept that bigger chain is better but we have never had any issue at all with that chain size and we have been anchored in some fairly stiff winds - on one occasion, over 45 mph for an entire night. I admit I stayed up the whole time while the boat yawed, jerked, and otherwise convinced me that the anchor and/or chain would surely not hold. The GPS was indicating boat speeds of over a knot as we yawed back/forth in fairly wide sweeps. But despite a very uncomfortable night, the anchor/chain held with no problem at all. Other boats in the same area lost anchors and chains that night so I'd agree that Hatteras did have some idea what they were doing as far as chain size for regular anchoring-out use.

OTOH, if I was starting from scratch, installing a new chain/gypsy, I'd probably use 3/8" just because…well because it seems that's what everybody claims is necessary! But based on its demonstrated performance over the 10 years I have owned the boat, I wouldn't change the 1/4 to 3/8 because I have had no indication that it is needed.
    Last edited by MikeP; 05-26-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"