Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Delivery Captain

Does anyone have any recommendations for a delivery captain to take a 52 Hat Convertible from Fort Lauderdale area to Texas? Our Broker has given us a few, but its always good to check around. What is the going rate now a days?

Thanks
    Brooks

Re: Delivery Captain

Sent you a PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

When we purchased our 53' MY in San Diego, we used San Diego Captains to bring her up to San Francisco. These are 2 brothers and they are amazing. They are based out of San Diego but will delivery yachts to and from anywhere in the world. You can learn more about them from their website which is www.sandiegocaptains.com Their fee is negotiated and was extremely reasonable. I highly recommend them for any delivery.

Good Luck to you!
    Ann
    1973 53MY "Enamorada"
    Antioch, CA

Didn't hear from you, but if you pay more than $200 a day, you're paying too much. If your captain doesn't run your boat at least 12 hours a day, weather permitting, you're paying too much. If your captain needs a mate at $100 per day...
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I would find someone that is familiar with those waters and with that boat. Experience and local knowledge cannot be taught.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I read on the cruiser forum that a hired captain for moving a boat for a new buyer hit another boat in the same marina. Did some 1,500 worth of damage. The new owner prolly will have to pay for it. The hired Capt will not because he doesnt have insurance. Another friend had his hired Capt run aground. No insurance and my friend had to replace whole running gear and props. If I were moving a boat with a hired Capt. I would make sure he is a Licensed Capt. first off, then let him show you that he has his own insurance. Then have your insurance Co. approve that the Capt is experienced enough to be covered on your policy. That sounds tough, but thats what I would do. When I bought our 43, my insurance Co. would not cover me until I had 10 hrs of training from a Capt of their choice. I couldnt even take it to the pump out dock. So my hands were tied having to hire a Capt even to pump out. What if that Capt hits something. Then I have to pay up? Heck, I might as well drove it myself. Judging by some of these Captains I've seen they are really scary. I would think that the recommendation you get here on this forum would be good choices. I would ask these questions though and hopefully they wont be offended.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Just like every other profession there are good and bad captains. I hired a captain to help me bring my boat through Barnegat inlet and bay. I hired him for local knowledge as it was late fall and the channel markers were pulled for the winter. I ran the boat the entire trip and the local knowledge I paid for was non existant. The captain came along for the ride only. When I moved my boat from Fl to NC. Captddis, Dave Disesa came along with me. Money well spent and I'd trust him with my boat anyday. Dave cared for my boat better than 99% of owners would care for thier own.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Didn't hear from you, but if you pay more than $200 a day, you're paying too much. If your captain doesn't run your boat at least 12 hours a day, weather permitting, you're paying too much. If your captain needs a mate at $100 per day...
    It's not too much if you're comfortable with the captain. The extra money is insignificant compared to my piece of mind and the safety of my boat. If you can get that for $200 per day then that's fine but I've paid more and felt it was money very well spent.
    Jack Sardina

Why not do the trip yourself? Take one week off of work, that should give you ten days of cruising. Using the ICW through the lake will have you near many very competent yards between FLL and TPA should any gremlins poke up their nastily little heads. Then do a bit of open cruising between Tampa and panhandle of Florida. As you get closer to home, start pushing a little harder, if something lets go, you're near home.

Ten days should give you enough time to make majority of trip in chug mode, see the sights, save money on fuel, get to know boat. At the end of the trip, you'll have a good understanding of the new boat and have covered some neat cruising areas; what a deal.... Brett

ps. Just did a chug in my 52C and averaged 1.46 nm/gallon at 8.5 - 9.0 kts

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    It's not too much if you're comfortable with the captain. The extra money is insignificant compared to my piece of mind and the safety of my boat. If you can get that for $200 per day then that's fine but I've paid more and felt it was money very well spent.
    You missed the sarcasm in my post as I charge $200 per day and don't usually hire a mate unless the owner insists.

First, there is no legal requirement to have a captain's license to do paid boat deliveries. That's an insurance requirement as is the case where many require a 100T master, even to move a boat that is well under that tonnage. That is simply a requirement that gives them the assurance the captain is qualified. Some insurance companies have asked for my credentials, and some haven't.

As for captains carrying their own insurance, the owner's insurance covers the boat, and the captain. Sure, if there is negligence involved, the captain is responsible, but it changes nothing about the owner's insurance paying for the damage. It would be rather absurd to hire a captain to run an uninsured boat and expect him to have insurance to cover said boat.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93