Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Opinions on Cummins 6BTA 370hp

Hi Y'all

I'm seeking input regarding Cummins 6BTA 370hp engines 1999-2000 model, currently with about 1000 hrs. Good? Bad? Indifferent? Reliability? Service Issues? A boat I'm curious about has 'em. I know nothing about them. All opinions appreciated.

Re: Opinions on Cummins 6BTA 370hp

Great engines, three things to look out for. Over propping, make sure they turn at least rated rpm (3000)+ at least 50 or they won't live long. Pay close attention to the aftercoolers, if neglected its big $$$$. If purchased ditch both of the crappy Sherwood raw water pumps and replace with sea max. I have the 330's which is the same engine just detuned, 11 wonderful years and 1200 hrs.

Good light engines with plenty of power and economical to run. I had them on my previous boat.

Keep a good eye on the after coolers. I had them serviced when I purchased the boat.
    Make sure to check for soot coming from the Exhaust Manifold and rear turbo gaskets. They are notorious from these gasket to fail.

Good luck

Jose
    PILAR
    1979 Hatteras 60
    San Diego, CA

All true. The SeaMax pumps are the way to go. Look on their web site (www.sbmar.com) for their tips on aftercooler maintenance and all other things for these engines. If the aftercoolers are maintained right- every few years replacing seals and greasing etc- they last very well.

I have these engines in my 36 Hatteras. They are far superior to the CAT diesels (3116s) that were in there before. MUCH better.

Great Engines just maintain them like everyone else mentioned.
    If the ones haven't been over propped 1000 hrs is nothing.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>