Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Department of Kudos

I thought I might start a thread for vendors and craftsmen who have done a good job and helped me out. Some are local, some not, but all of them have done good work, priced fairly, delivered on time, and generally made my life easier. Tops on the list would be Sam's, needless to say, but here are some others:

-Insta-Trim Boat Leveler (Hatteras trim tabs) These guys have all the things you need to get yours working if they don't, and keep them working if they do. They also have templates for all the tabs that they cut custom for Hatteras back in the day. Ask for Brian, I think it is.

-Eric Jans, cabinetmaker and yacht carpenter in Kent Narrows area. Has done a lot of things for fellow Hatteras owners and HOF members. Great guy and very skillful.

-Smith's Marina, Crownsville, MD: haulouts, bottom work, and they don't paint the bottom unless it needs it. Very safe winter storage.

-Exotic Lumber, Annapolis: if anyone can match your interior wood, they can. Note that not all interior woods CAN be matched.........

-Fawcett Marine supplies, Forest Drive, Annapolis: these guys are, in essence, everything WM isn't: they are very knowledgeable, they are well-stocked, they are LOCAL, not a chain store, and they are good to deal with and the store is full of interesting items. Highly recommended.

Please contribute to this thread. There are a lot of good guys out there, we should help them out.

Re: Department of Kudos

+1 on Eric Jans 410-924-5536. I built a new house in 2004 and Eric spent about a year here doing all the finishing work that the builder didn't (wouldn't) do like custom kitchen cabinetry details, 3 piece crown moldings throughout, wainscot, library shelves with fluted columns, etc. Once he was done here at the house I took him to my boat (which then was my 46 Matthews). He took to yacht cabinetry like he had been doing it his entire life. He is clever and creative in his execution of detailed work. I typically know what i want and when I describe it to Eric, he adds his creativity which makes it even better. He is clever in a way that produces a finished product even better than I could have imagined. He is a rare talent.

I like the work ethic and reliability of Dependable Marine Service 443-450-4886. Husband and wife team Rob and Michele Nixon always show up when promised, do the job right the first time, and clean up after themselves like you'd never know they'd been there. They have done a lot of large and small jobs for me over the years. Sometimes the bill is a shocker, but most times not - very fair.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 04-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

We have had all our major (and quite a bit of less major) work done by Bruce Morrison. I cannot say enough of how highly we regard him. We spent 5 weeks on the hard last summer when he did a slew of items at Bock Marine in Beaufort, N.C.. Not the prettiest yard but good price, prompt and fairly priced work for what we had them do (props and bottom paint). Kenny Bock and his wife Nancy run a great 2nd generation business. We also stopped there in late December for some additional work.

Also in Beaufort, Burt Ferrebee (sic) did some HVAC and installed Niaids seals. He is a former Hatteras man like Bruce.

In Stuart, we have used Tropic Diesel (Randy Wassenaar) who was recommended by Bruce. He rebuilt all four of my turbos and did a great job.

We have used a few other mechanics during our travels as needed and have been lucky to have all decent folks.

Kudos is a good name for this thread as I would have been lost without each and every one of these people and companies!

I have used Imperial for some electrical and other odds and ends. They have a new flushing unit and barnacle busted all my AC units- they chill really well now! I have a washer and dryer on order from them right now.

Watermaker Marine Services, Inc. (Tom Connors) obviously for our watermaker.

For supplies, I go to Chapman Marine here in Stuart. Rob Chapman has been extremely helpful for all my needs and has often delivered items to the boat as we do not have a car.

As Jim said, I have always had great experiences with Sam's too.

First and Foremost Sam's.....Love ya Steve!

In Charleston,SC Oil in a days work. Aaron Vickers is a wiz at the 71 series engines and Minor maintenance. 843-810-3207

Hilton head Marine Tech 843-681-3256 Excellent all around work. Ask for John

Keep 'em coming, folks.

We do ourselves a favor by keeping these guys in business. They are what makes boating fun, and safe in the bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    i thought i might start a thread for vendors and craftsmen who have done a good job and helped me out. Some are local, some not, but all of them have done good work, priced fairly, delivered on time, and generally made my life easier. Tops on the list would be sam's, needless to say, but here are some others:

-insta-trim boat leveler (hatteras trim tabs) these guys have all the things you need to get yours working if they don't, and keep them working if they do. They also have templates for all the tabs that they cut custom for hatteras back in the day. Ask for brian, i think it is.

-eric jans, cabinetmaker and yacht carpenter in kent narrows area. Has done a lot of things for fellow hatteras owners and hof members. Great guy and very skillful.

-smith's marina, crownsville, md: Haulouts, bottom work, and they don't paint the bottom unless it needs it. Very safe winter storage.

-exotic lumber, annapolis: If anyone can match your interior wood, they can. Note that not all interior woods can be matched.........

-fawcett marine supplies, forest drive, annapolis: These guys are, in essence, everything wm isn't: They are very knowledgeable, they are well-stocked, they are local, not a chain store, and they are good to deal with and the store is full of interesting items. Highly recommended.

Please contribute to this thread. There are a lot of good guys out there, we should help them out.
    thanks jim all this should be a special place on the site so if we need help far from home we can look. Hope site operators will make a special heading

It would be nice to have this in a special place on the site for those who travel and brake down
    what a wonderful source for information

I've got this great guy up here in CT. He does all my 12v and 120v electrical work, fiberglass work, electronics installation and maintenance, carpentry, and DD mechanical work. He even cleans the boat. The best part is that he shows up whenever I want him to and stays as long as I need him to. And, his hourly rate can't be beat! I suspect my wife's messing around with him, but its a small price to pay.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Thumbs up Re: Department of Kudos

Just wanted to give our input on this. We cannot say enough good things about Annapolis Harbor Boat Yard in Annapolis, MD. On our trip back north in 2013 we had a transmission fail. We were put in touch with a highly recommended repair service there but I will not mention the name as something really bad must have happened to him and our experience was less than stellar. John Norton at AHBY did everything he could to help us and finally after 9 (that's right 9) weeks John's mechanic Mike had us on our way. Needless to say this was a stressful situation but with the help of AHBY we made it through it. While holed up there we were able to see not only the mechanical abilities of this facility but also their attention to detail on all their work done. They turned out some beautiful refinishing jobs that we were privledged to witness. If we ever hit the lottery our classis 1968 38' Hatteras will make the trip south for AHBY to refinish her top to bottom !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I've got this great guy up here in CT. He does all my 12v and 120v electrical work, fiberglass work, electronics installation and maintenance, carpentry, and DD mechanical work. He even cleans the boat. The best part is that he shows up whenever I want him to and stays as long as I need him to. And, his hourly rate can't be beat! I suspect my wife's messing around with him, but its a small price to pay.
    Look for his shoes, they are under your bed