Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electronics questions

We have a new Raymarine I-50 depth finder and Garmin 4212/4208 units.

Cause I ain't the brightest bulb on the tree I did not ask about getting them to talk to one another. Our trip down the ICW and going back and forth like a dog watching windshield wipers has since changed my mind.

Will they "talk"? Can you display info from the I-50 to the Garmins? And get ALL the info on one screen?

How much time and money should it cost? I am not allowed to touch electronics wires per the Admiral.

Thanks,

Russ

Re: Electronics questions

The I50 is a display. There has to be a sounder somewhere.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Why not add a transducer to the Garmin set up? That way you will have depth display on the Garmins and a back-up depth finder to the RayMarine.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

The 4212 is NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 capable. If the Raymarine unit is NMEA 2000, they should be able to talk.

You might take a look at the Garmin NMEA 2000 starter kit.

Blaine

Go cheap. Get a Garmin handheld unit. will navigate ICW like a charm. Also try iPad with software. not as good as Garmin. but a help. Navionics is the software as I remember. Bye the way iPad does not have to be GPS enabled. You can buy cheap add on that pilots use to get you anywhere.

Scott, All I got is the I-50 and the sender/speed (transducer thing in the bottom. It displays depth speed and water temp. At both stations.

Eric, That is exactly what I am trying to do is get depth readings on the Garmin. They are mounted across from one another and it will wear you out in skinny water!

By the way My back up is I-NAV X on an I-pad with a bad elf GPS. Works like a charm

This is a question that can be easily answered by the technical support reps at either or both manufacturers. If the unit will output a NEMA 0183 or 2000 signal then the Garmin unit will probably be able to display it.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Quote Originally Posted by rwappleton View Post

Eric, That is exactly what I am trying to do is get depth readings on the Garmin. They are mounted across from one another and it will wear you out in skinny water!
    Russ, what I'm saying is: worst case all you need is one more transducer added to the Garmin. I used the one that glues inside the hull. Works perfectly and would give you yet another back-up for depth.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Russ

I know the Garmin is both NMEA 2000 and 0183 compatable. The I-50 is also 2000 compatable. According to the I-50 manual you should be able to share the depth, temp, speed data with another NMEA 2000 device. You will not need a starter kit. You should have it with your garmins. You may need an adaptor cable to attach the I-50 2000 network to the Garmin 2000 network.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”