Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel pump or pump rebuild kit for Genset

My 53MY has the standard genset and the fuel pump is shot. According to the shop it should be replaced or at a minimum rebuilt. The problem is, apparently the part is NLA? Anyone have any suggestions for a new or rebuilt (or good used) pump?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Re: Fuel pump or pump rebuild kit for Genset

Come on Dave, you've been doing this long enough. You know you have to make/model for intelligent reply.

See this, maybe helpful: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...uel-Pump/page2

A customer of mine just had this same problem. The mechanic installed an electric fuel pump. They left the old pump in place and extended the fuel lines. It's triggered by the injection pump. Onan dealer here on the Eastern Shore did the work.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Just got a call from the shop a few minutes ago...they had that same idea, replace with a 12v electric pump. They said it will work fine and be WAY less expensive than a new OEM pump or even a rebuilt. Thanks to all!
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    A customer of mine just had this same problem. The mechanic installed an electric fuel pump. They left the old pump in place and extended the fuel lines. It's triggered by the injection pump. Onan dealer here on the Eastern Shore did the work.
    Truely the cheap way out, and then you can get a pump at any auto parts store and it makes priming filter a breeze, a handy result.

JM.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

A 12v fuel pump on the original 32v Onan could be a problem though. To trigger the 12v pump from the 32v controls, you will need a 32v contactor of some sort and a 12v power source for the pump.

It would be easier to use a 32v fuel pump if you can find one.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A 12v fuel pump on the original 32v Onan could be a problem though. To trigger the 12v pump from the 32v controls, you will need a 32v contactor of some sort and a 12v power source for the pump.

It would be easier to use a 32v fuel pump if you can find one.
    Good point, haven't used a 32V fuel, could be hard to find. You can get a relay to to do the 12 Volt task if you already have a 12v bank, for a signal you can use a oil pressure switch, like a Standard PS12, to provide the relay ground. ir a resistor to step down to 12v might be an idea.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

If its a typical mechanical, lever operated, lift pump, and its a simple diaphram failure, you might be able to rebuild yourself. or you might try a 24v electric pump, but a 12v in a 32v system isn't going to work long..