Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 53MY Classic For Sale

We were a backup offer on a Great Lakes boat. It was a long trip but I would be burning fuel and paying dockage even if it was in Fl. We planned for few plane rides over a couple months with some fantastic cruising which takes the sting out of the cost.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Mil,
    I have not personally been aboard, but I do personally know the owner who is meticulous. I also know that any boat that has been on the Great Lakes for all of her life is in far superior condition to any salt water boat. For the money, you can't go wrong with TH&T. You must at least come up and take a look at her. That costs you almost nothing.

And the best part of buying a boat is the trip home. Don't hire it done. Take your time. Move her as you can get away. It doesn't have to be done all at once. The adventure is what boating is all about. If you wanted a condo, then go find a condo. Anybody that complains about the cost of moving the boat probably shouldn't own one. It's a boat trip. That's priceless.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-11-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Excellent advice Sky.....

Walt

Sky is right, that's a fantastic trip not just a delivery. There's a reason so many big yachts head up to the Great Lakes for the summer.
    Jack Sardina

But it's so farrrr.

And costs so much.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    But it's so farrrr.

And costs so much.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

it's about 1100NM from Catawba Island, OH to Charleston, SC. If you bought a boat in Ft Lauderdale it would be about 600NM to get her home. So the difference is only a 500NM run. I ran almost 1500NM to get my boat home and fuel was in the 4-4.50 per gallon range at the time. I burn about triple what you'd burn in a 53MY and it was worth every penny.
    Jack Sardina

Until you have seen a good boat from the Great Lakes, you don't know what a good boat is. They have a short boating season, they are always in fresh water, and most of them are stored indoors in heated storage for 7-9 months a year. Nothing compares to them. Every one I've seen was ultra-clean, shiny, and gorgeous. Maybe there's a bad GL boat out there; I've never seen one.

Several people in our cruising club bought boats up there and moved them down here. Enjoyable trip, great scenery, and the opportunity to really get to know your new boat. You'll have to work hard to avoid this one, Mili.

Plus it would not require the largest slip on your list.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Until you have seen a good boat from the Great Lakes, you don't know what a good boat is. They have a short boating season, they are always in fresh water, and most of them are stored indoors in heated storage for 7-9 months a year. Nothing compares to them. Every one I've seen was ultra-clean, shiny, and gorgeous. Maybe there's a bad GL boat out there; I've never seen one.
    Would seem a shame to bring it here to the searing sun and salt and "ruin" it then. But yeah, I'd be on it regardless of distance if it was a bit closer to what we want.