Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 53MY Classic For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Be Patient TOPHATT AND TAILS! Be Patient.

When I had dropped the price on my 58 Hatteras a year and a half ago, it still took 3 months before the first "looker" showed up. So many boats are in disrepair, there is a "mindset" that has developed, where the price of a near perfect 53, should be the same as any level of a rougher 53, between $0 and $100,000. That's not the case.

Condition Value is difficult to pinpoint, because everyone has a different eye for "pristine". And from every report I've heard about your boat, along with it's freshwater only history, a smart buyer will eventually step up to the plate. It's priced exactly where it should be, to be a true bargain for the buyer.

What some brokers fail to do, is to at least "show" a boat like yours to a buyer who is seeking something else. Motor Yacht or Trawler. A pristine 53 is better overall buy and a more functional boat than anything else out there in today's dollars. Any qualified buyer smart enough to appreciate real quality, understands what "pristine" is, and the value in turning the key and enjoying, will come along.
    From what I can see she is certainly a beautiful vessel.

With TopHatt and Tails and a few other very good 53 Classic's on the market at present I very much wish that the Admiral and I were ready to come over for our great loop and beyond adventure. I only hope there are 53 Classic's in that condition available when we head over in a few years time.

I will certainly be looking for a well maintained, high quality vessel as I don't wish to take a year for preparation before embarking.

Have you promoted TopHatt & Tails in the "America's Great Loop Cruising Association" community? It would seem to be an appropriate marketplace. http://www.greatloop.org/

Good luck with the sale.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

One day, your life is going to flash before your eyes....
    ..Make sure it's worth watching!!!

Seabrooke - a great idea. Thanks. I'll look into joining and listing over there. But in the mean time, there has been another price redux on Top Hatt and Tails. She's preparing to head to the heated barn for the winter's nap shortly, so now is the time to come aboard and see her. Otherwise, she will be on the hard getting her winter polish on, carpets steamed, and a little rest until the lake thaws and we launch again in May. There still is time this season the sea trial, inspect, and take her home!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...s#.VBgRXWK9KSM
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

that's one of the nicest 53's I've seen!

$50k price reduction. 100% fresh water, lots of upgrades that matter, clean!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...s#.VBgRXWK9KSM
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Hey Milacron,
    If you are really serious about buying a Hatteras MY, you can't do any better than this one. She is pristine, low hours, freshwater, and in your price range.

And the best part is, you can save money and skip the survey on this one. Just hand him the dough and take off. I know I'd have no worries about it.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

And the best part is, you can save money and skip the survey on this one. Just hand him the dough and take off. I know I'd have no worries about it.
    Do you know the boat is that nice from seeing it first hand, or are you making assumptions based on the photos and specs ? It certainly does seem very nice....if not so far away I would have looked at it even before the price drop.

One complication is that after being on a couple of HAT 52 and 53's, since my original WTB posting, SWMBO has indicated they are probably too small. (Heck, I even considered the 50 sport deck in FL)

The other complication is that TH&T has no provision for a dinghy. That can be cured of course, by moving the aft flybridge rails forward and adding davit and chocks. But combine the high cost of low profile davits with the cost of getting the boat here, and the size concerns...thus the reluctance.

Having said all that, to be honest I'd love to be talked into it. If it really is sooooo nice, I might could persuade SWMBO on the size concerns and go for it regardless. Thoughts ?

Getting a boat to you from the Great Lakes is not that expensive, in fact if you found a boat that is nice enough you would spend less money on fuel than you would fixing a core or even small maintenance items.

I believe you could easily get this boat to SC for about 10k. I've done the trip several times.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    Getting a boat to you from the Great Lakes is not that expensive, in fact if you found a boat that is nice enough you would spend less money on fuel than you would fixing a core or even small maintenance items.

I believe you could easily get this boat to SC for about 10k. I've done the trip several times.
    Night, can you expand on that... you mean 10K in fuel only....fuel plus marina layovers....or ? And how much time do you think it would take if not running at night and going at the most fuel efficient speeds (9 knots ?) As SWMBO is still a working stiff I was thinking in terms of a captain bringing it here and figured more like $22k at least...but hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post

Even if the cost was 25k to get her home I'd do it in a heartbeat for the right boat/deal. From all accounts this is an exceptional boat and well worth a look for any serious 53 buyer. With the current price reduction it should be high on the list for a buyer looking for a bristol older Hatt. I spent around 35K bringing my boat home and that cost was never much of a consideration given the boat and the deal we put together. I'm sure I could have cut that cost down to 10-15K if we took our time and ran at hull speed. I tried it for the first day and on the second day I decided that running on plane was the way I wanted to go.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Even if the cost was 25k to get her home I'd do it in a heartbeat for the right boat/deal.
    I would as well, except it's not quite the right boat/deal....close, but not quite. Now if Nightingale would do a major price drop on his baby, we'd be more in "do it in a heartbeat" mode ;-)