Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PC Based navigation and radar and ...

I have always been impressed (that is not necessarily a good thing) by the high cost of flat screen chart plotters out there. Many thousands for basically a proprietary personal computer and flat screen.

I am presently looking at purchasing a personal computer with a solid state hard drive. Tiki navigation software and a Garmin USB GPS antenna for navigation. All NOAA charts in raster format are free for download now.

Garmin has PC based radar also for under 1K.

May also look into PC based engine management software in the future, but right now all analog gauges work.

Add webcams for security so I can check out da boat when I am not there.

All of this may require more than 1 computer, but it is still a much less expensive way to do all of this, I think?

Yes, I will still have a hand held GPS and hard copies of all charts wherever I go.

When I bought my 43DC 14 years ago, I bought Nobeltec software and plugged in my handheld GPS when I took my new aquisition from St Clair MI to Grand Haven, MI. Worked great and got us there without issue. That was a 600 mile ride in 3 days.

Has anyone else decided to take this route for navigation and radar?

Re: PC Based navigation and radar and ...

Save your money. Garmin has an 18" dome thats already out of date and mostly sold to blowboaters.

it is not PC based. It is connected via a cat5 cable and there are hacks for software. Open cpn I think.

a pc is not a good navionics device. As a chart plotter its somewhat useful but not as reliable as purp9se built electronics. Its not water proof or shock proof nor is it supported by Garmin.

If you want a cheap radar furuno makes an 18" dome and head for $1500 or so.

Im sure ill get a note from this but.

It's a Hatteras not an oday. Be a man and do it right. Your boat deserves that. And when you need it most chances are real good that a conventional system will not be the thing that lets you down.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The pc based equipment is very popular with some people. One thing to note, if you have a bridge and want to use a pc based unit, you might find viewing the pc in daylight difficult. The brightness is not there, the measure of brightness in a nit, the higher the nit rating the brighter the display. I have not looked into a multi function monitor to feed everything into, it may be a less expensive solution.

Just trying not to throw money at a nameplate. I work in the industrial controls business. They do the same thing. Big bucks and it comes with a really nice nameplate, but I have often done the same for my clients for a fraction of the cost.

I know my laptop does not have the nits in full sun. I have a towel for that. I also have a really nice lead on a LED display that is 1500 NITS that I will have as part of this configuration. That is right up there with the sunlight readable displays, I thinK?

So other than throwing money at a nameplate and sunlight readable, what am I missing. I know I have a Hatteras, but that doesn't mean I need to feed money to something that I can do reasonably for substantially less.

Provides more funds for diesel fuel!

No disrespect intended, I just don't see the value of the highfalutin packages out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tjshuler View Post
    Just trying not to throw money at a nameplate. I work in the industrial controls business. They do the same thing. Big bucks and it comes with a really nice nameplate, but I have often done the same for my clients for a fraction of the cost.

I know my laptop does not have the nits in full sun. I have a towel for that. I also have a really nice lead on a LED display that is 1500 NITS that I will have as part of this configuration. That is right up there with the sunlight readable displays, I thinK?

So other than throwing money at a nameplate and sunlight readable, what am I missing. I know I have a Hatteras, but that doesn't mean I need to feed money to something that I can do reasonably for substantially less.

Provides more funds for diesel fuel!

No disrespect intended, I just don't see the value of the highfalutin packages out there.
    12 volt power, small kernel based os for reliability. No moving parts. Water proof. Interfaces with other devices fully, tech support, far better user interfaces. Sunlight readable. Mountable. Secure connections. Abyc and cg approved construction and materials.....

I have years of working with amx and crestron control systems and can not make as user friendly or reliable interface myself. There is some value to all the r and d that garmin, furuno and others put into it.

By the way I install many systems each year. Having a computer alongside is one thing. Making it your main system never works as well as people think it will. Especially on boats under 50 foot with exposed areas and humidity.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It really depends on how you use your boat and the setup

I have seen many new owners talked into spending thousands of dollars on electronics they don't will never need and features the will never used when as you said money could have been better spent

If you have an enclosed helm like so many hatt MY, there is no reason not to use a computer or tablet there. On a open FB, even with a Bimini the average laptop will be very hard to read and too exposed. By the time you spend $$ for a notebook capable of handling this you re better off with with a marine plotter

Now if all you do is short weekend trips in good conditions, a tablet can be all you need... Most boaters never run at night or in fog so radar may not even be needed. Obviously in areas prone to sudden fog like New England you need radar... But for instance here in Florida 90% of boaters don't need one yet they are talked into it. And usually don't know how to use it.

I have used a PC for nav for years, in an enclosed sky lounge. I ve used seaclearII, openCPN then polar navy which I prefer. Thousands and thousands of miles and never a hick up

About a year ago I switched to an ipad with garmin Blucharts and love it. I have a lifeproof cover (waterproof to 6'). Only downsides are that while usable in the sun it is not as readable as a marine plotter and if left in direct sunlight it will shut down because of heat.

But the charts and build in GPS are as accurate as any marine unit and much easier to use.

There are a number of other benefits such as been able to do other things like plying music, checking weather and also not being tied to one location when planning the next days. You can take it elsewhere more comfortable on the boat. Finally at night you can take it down below a dues it as an anchor alarm

So there are many benefits but again it depends on your boat and usage
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Well put Scott, pc for back up. I prefer dedicated units, a single monitor always makes me wonder, if the monitor fails I'll loose everything.

I have to agree that many uneducated owners buy equipment and never learn to use it properly. Radar is one that fer people know how to use, not to mention what would happen should an accident occur. The rules state if you have a radar you should have a certificate to prove you know how to use it. If it is on the boat it has to be turned on. As for radar in Florida, I wouldn't be without one. Granted we don't get a lot of fog like New England, but we sure get our share of thunder storms with winds,using radar to see these storms approaching is a great tool. We have avoided many storms using thew radar.
    Last edited by Boatnut; 04-02-2014 at 11:28 AM.

8. Re: PC Based navigation and radar and ...

Here's another recommendation for Polar Navy.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Depends if you run outside the ICW and/or need other utilities. The Garmin has a radar overlay, XM radio/weather, depth sounder, water temps, radar, auto pilot, bathy charts, pics of inlets and much more. I think their newest unit has bluetooth.?.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I ve never been a big fan of cramming too much data on one screen starting with radar overlay as I rarely want both the plotter and radar on the same scale. Same with depth, better have it on a separate display and AUto pilot

As too weather nowadays when in range of cell towers, I prefer having it on a separate device whether tablet or smart phone than cluttering the nav screen

Yes Marine radar comes in handy to track thunderstorms but again you are going to track these a much longer range than your plotter so overlays are useless
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat