Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: cockpit hatch rubbers

Sams has them
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Contact cement is actually tricky. You have to let it dry completely on both pieces before pressing the pieces together

My 2c
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

I am having a terrible time getting new cockpit hatch gaskets to adhere to my floor fish box hatch covers in my 1986 36’ convertible. I tried the 3M super gasket adhesive a couple times with not much success. Tried cleaning off rubber material with alcohol to prepare and did not help. I also tried some 5200 thinking this might adhere to rubber gasket material. Wasn’t much better, if any, than 3M product. Wondering if anyone has found anything yet that works?

I used 3M Weatherstip adhesive on mine. Worked great.
    Sky Cheney

Did you use the 3m product on the smooth rubber L shaped cockpit fish box seal material? Because maybe the 3m product is working on other rubber hatch seals, but it doesn’t work well on the smooth rubber surface of the L shaped cockpit fish box cover seal. As mentioned in the first post in this thread. I tried the 3m product several times prepping both the rubber surface and cockpit cover surface with poor results. Adhesive does not stick to smooth rubber. I am experimenting with different construction adhesives, rubber cements, etc….will leave info back if I find something that works. Any new recommendations welcomed.

No, I used it on the smooth seal on a fwd deck hatch. I'm surprised it didn't work for you. That stuff sticks to everything. We even use it on seals inside of a vibrating aggregate screen.
    Sky Cheney

I ended up roughing up the smooth surface of the L-shaped gasket seal with a dremel barrel sander, and it appeared to remove a thin layer of what looked like “release agent”?, from the rubber, maybe something left over from how the L-shaped gasket was molded?, but roughing up the surface and removing what looked like a release agent, or film? Seamed to help the 3m super gasket adhesive stick to the seal, and so far the L-shaped gaskets have stayed stuck to the hatches. Fingers crossed…..