Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cockpit hatch rubbers

Our 1986 36C has L shaped rubber edging on each cockpit access hatch. I bought new ones from Sam's about 5 years ago. They just don't stay glued in place. I have tried several brands of contact cement but they always fall off. Has anybody found a good replacement or some magic way of getting the Hatteras rubbers to stay put.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Re: cockpit hatch rubbers

Does the glue stay bonded to the fiberglass or the rubber? Have you tried automotive gasket adhesive? You may need to clean up the gasket surface with alcohol?

double sided tape should do the trick

Maynard, you could try Pettit Flexpoxy. However I don't know how easy it will be to get off when they need to be replaced.

Does nobody else have this problem? Did Hatteras only use these rubbers on certain models? Jim, I have used flexpoxy. The problem is that nothing seems to stick to the smooth rubber material.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

There is a plastic repair liquid called Plast-Aid, which might work. Recently mentioned in Motorcycle Consumer News. You might try that.

Maynard,
    Just use the OEM stuff. It is made by 3M. Its called Super Weatherstip Adhesive. I used it on my hatch and it has held up well. Warning: It is black and sticky and does not come off of your hands.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-black-super...8008-5-oz.html
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

sky and maynard, you can get the same 3m super weatherstrip adhesive in yellow too

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    sky and maynard, you can get the same 3m super weatherstrip adhesive in yellow too
    But black matches the gasket so you don't notice what squeezes out around the edges.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Can someone post a picture of the L shaped hatch gaskets? Does Sam's carry them?
    David