Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cruisair Unit Won't Respond

I have 4 units onboard my 53 MY. At survey everything was fine and just bought boat this Friday the 7th! Came down and fired up heat and all but one unit comes on. It is the saloon unit and the display doesn't light as well. Played with the breaker and think that may be the issue. Are there any other things that may cause the unit to not respond or even light up the display??

Re: Cruisair Unit Won't Respond

If you were asking for heat, the reversing valve probably stuck. Very few owners ever use heat and those valves get stuck. I make sure that I cycle ours as often as I can. You do need a cool day to make this work. When your AC guy gets it working, run the reverse cycle on all your units fairly often.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Well, the breaker is the first place to look but if it is "on" then it's not likely to be the problem. Cycle it off/on and see if the unit works. Do you have any electrical troubleshooting skills? It is not difficult to check for power in various locations using a multimeter but if you are not familiar with such things/comfortable working with electricity at the "it can kill you" level, that's not the best place to start learning.

You mentioned that the "display" is not lit up. Do the ac units have some sort of digital display? That was not original so if it does, a previous owner must have installed them. They are nice and many people have replaced the oem controls with them but they add a circuit box that can fail and cause the system not to function. I have had two units do that over the years on our 53, one controlling the galley and one controlling the guest SR.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Don't know about your unit, but on mine, 1987 63MY, there are actually 2 breakers. One is the traditional "flip" 20amp breaker in the panel. The other breaker is on a relay box in the generator compartment. Follow the wiring from the compressor unit, and it should lead you to the relay box. The breaker is a simple toggle type mounted on the relay box.

Next time I'm down at the boat I will take some pictures. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm good doing 90% on my own but electrical is the other 10%!