Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '71 45c

'71 45c

In my email inbox is a group of listings from Bluewater in Hampton, VA. It includes a 45C that may be of interest here- repowered with Cummins 450Cs, some updates. Asking around 57K. Appears to be a decent and tidy boat although (obviously) dated. But the engine room appears clean and for someone looking to get into a mid-size Hatteras convertible, this might be worth checking out. I don't know what the performance is like- this is about the same power and torque as the original 8-71s, but with a considerable savings in overall weight, so it may be somewhat quicker.

I don't know the owner, I don't know the broker, and I've never seen the boat itself. Nor do I have a dog in this hunt. But I thought it was an interesting listing, hence the posting here.

Re: '71 45c

If pictures are current, it looks pretty good and low hours on the Cummins. Big drop from $123k to $57k.
    Art

That does seem to be a lot of boat for the money.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971...s#.UwalTYWuqSo
    Jack Sardina

It looks like it had some changes by Dave Hurley,the bridge for sure.
    They used to be refered to as " A Hurley Hatteras ".

I get the same Bluewater email and this boat caught my eye too.

BTW, for all you 45c Series II (?) hunters, there's an interesting CAT C9 repowered 1986 listed as a 43, so it might not come up in searches.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...s#.UwdE3p0o6Uk

Seems like lot of boat for the money and a benchmark for trying to fix one of these up although it doesn't appear to be completely redone. Looks like a fish boat.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 02-21-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

About all the engine room photos tell you is that the boat HAS an engine room. If I had that boat listed, I'd suggest the broker go back and reshoot some of those pictures. Oh, and delete the one cribbed from the Hatteras brochure. Tacky.

I don't know how this boat performs with C9s- no hp rating or performance figures. A bit suspect, I'd say.

Engine hours, 447 and 646. Hmmmmm Almost sounds like one motor was replaced/rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    About all the engine room photos tell you is that the boat HAS an engine room. If I had that boat listed, I'd suggest the broker go back and reshoot some of those pictures. Oh, and delete the one cribbed from the Hatteras brochure. Tacky.

I don't know how this boat performs with C9s- no hp rating or performance figures. A bit suspect, I'd say.
    Probably because the ER is a mess. Look at the pics in the listing, there's plenty not right there. Look at the gap where the exhaust passes through the aft bulkhead. There should be a flange there and the hose should be supported. There's plenty of other questionable items if you look closely. As for the brochure photo, it's not even the right model! That's a post '87 45C. Not a fan of the C9's but they should provide slightly better speed than the 6V92's did. Typical HP would be in the 500-535HP range
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Engine hours, 447 and 646. Hmmmmm Almost sounds like one motor was replaced/rebuilt.
    Almost every boat I've seen with 1200HP MANs had one engine with considerably less hours than the other. Every time it was due to a major failure and one engine needing to be replaced.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    That does seem to be a lot of boat for the money.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971...s#.UwalTYWuqSo

Damn you all...haha. Jim, where's the 46hp you speak of in another thread?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381