Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I bought an old Boat

Hi all, I have been frequenting this site for over three years now, ever since buying an old boat. Over that time I have got a lot of good information from many of you, so thanks.

I live on the other side of the world with no real support except a couple manuals, internet browsing and what I have found on Sam’s Marine.

I bought the old girl in Florida, shipped it to Singapore then drove it 1000 nautical miles to where I live on the island of Borneo. After a year of nursing the old boat along I decided (rather I needed) to haul out and rejuvenate her the best I could. She has been out of the water for well over two years and now finally is back on the sea. I would not have been able to undertake this project without the excellent craftsmanship and assistance I’ve been getting from a Filipino man named Ruben. Who has done most of the fiberglass, wood repairs and painting.

It’s been a massive learning curve. Some things I knew about, most I had little idea. I had only ever been on a sport fish boat like this once and may have consumed a few beers on that trip so really did not grasp the big picture of what lies below the painted decks.

By now your asking what boat. Answer; 1982 Hatteras 46C hp. Twin DD 8V92ti

When I was in West Palm Beach in the spring of 2010 it seemed like purchasing a boat was a good idea. (I had been consuming beer). And with help from a yacht broker the decision was made to buy. (funny how a broker can be so helpful). I’m often asked “if you knew then what you know now, would you have done the same thing?” I’ve always found that question to be a little self serving, in that the person asking is basically telling you that they wouldn’t have done what you have. But, a question asked should be a question answered, “YES”

Having this boat has been quite a challenge, and I have had loads of enjoyment ripping it apart, and then learning how to put it back together. A little stressful at times, but hey, we all need a little stress.

I will be posting some pictures for your entertainment.

Cheers, P
    Attached Images

Re: I bought an old Boat

We've all bought old boats that's why we're here! Best of luck, the 46HP is one of the best boats Hatteras ever made. What type of work have you done to her?
    Jack Sardina

" it seemed like purchasing a boat was a good idea. (I had been consuming beer)."

Yep…beer (or rum) tends to cause those sorts of judgement issues.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Osprey,
    Nice Boat!
    If 1982 is old, then my '73 is positively ancient! I would love to see pictures of your various restore projects.
    We are just stewards for a time of our boats, because our Hatteras' will likely outlive all of us.
    In that regard, every owner is a restorer of some description and has many stories to share and lessons to learn. Looks like your vessel is in good hands.
    Best of luck,
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Borneo??? Wow!!!

Can you post more photos of your boat? Including some where you are? Sounds very cool. What projects have you done on her?

Was the boat named "Hide Aweigh" from St Pete

Osprey,
    Let's see.
    You bought a 46 foot boat in FL, shipped it to Singapore and drove it 1000 miles to Borneo, yet you are now worried about being able to deal with inside your boat. Sound downhill to me.
    I have confidence in you, and am impressed.
    Hope to hear and see more.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I believe that she is " Hide Aweigh". You can see it on the stern.

I will put it another way. if I would have know what was facing me (before the buying). I wouldn't have made the purchase. I was totally overwhelmed at first, and still have problems to work through. I usually work 12 hrs per day, 6 days per week and don't have time to struggle with these issues we all have. However, now that I have worked through all these issues and had a great time with my family cruising, I can say that I am glad I did purchase. So at first I said oh no what did I get myself into. Now after 3 yrs living on the boat I can say it's been worth the trouble. Thanks to the HOF. I wouldn't be here without them. If all that makes sense.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by sofarelli View Post
    I believe that she is " Hide Aweigh". You can see it on the stern.
    Couldn't read it but it liked like the lettering and the hard top. Small world!