Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Update ideas 1986 52C

Time to bring Silver Dream back from Green Turtle at end of summer and snazz her up a bit to modernize.

Carpet is perfect, so I plan to either do granite or corion countertops in galley and heads. Going to update batteries and try 8volt golf cart batteries and new boxes to give some room in engine room.

I'm going to use World Panel Products glue down fake teak in the heads depending on how it works in the 34. Might even replace windows and frames with the extruded fiberglass and one piece windows.

I plan to lose the old blinds and go with wood or newer materials. Dinette table is perfect teak as is pop up table. New runners, of course. I will add mirror to port going down stairs to lighten her up.

Mechanically, she's jam up. Headliner like new. Sound system, of course needs help.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions to modernize her? I may make this the last trip for a while and just pay the Bahamian tax.

As I think, I may pull out the dishwasher, it's new and I have never used it. I can then add cabinets or storage or something else. Fridge is new and full size, I guess always can use more storage.
    Last edited by shark 1007; 01-16-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Re: Update ideas 1986 52C

Haven't done it yet but I've got Silestone installation planned for this summer. It looks hardier than granite (not supposed to stain?), and I didn't care for the corian samples that I looked at- wanted something that looked more like natural stone. I ordered 3 samples from their web site and picked the one I liked best. I can't wait!!!!!

Wood blinds in the salon are wonderful; only issue I have is a PITA to dust and I hate dusting.

Sounds like you've got some fun planned!!

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Mirror globe and a free spinning brass pole would surely add some ambiance.

maybe add in a sub woofer and some lights too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I definitely second Cheryl's recommendation for Silestone. I've had two houses with Silestone and it is harder and resists heat and has a biocide in the stone mixture. Actually weighs less than granite and I believe is not as prone to flexing & cracking.
    Art

Scott

I'm counting on you for the globe. Then I'll change the name to "Fatitude"

It's all personal preferance but I would go with a stone product. They add a lot of weight but there are ways to lighten things up. You can get them made with a core and the stone cut thin like a veneer. Have you considered changing the galley to a low profile cut down galley? really opens the boat up, particularly on the 52C. I have Amtico teak and holly flooring in the galley and heads. Very satisfied with it.
    Jack Sardina

I wouldn't put anymore weight on a Conv. Than absolutely nessasary. All this granite and stone may be ok for a MY that never leaves the slip but every boat I've been on offshore creaks and groans and flexes with the motion of the ocean. 1000s of pounds of stone held in place with some silicone caulk? No thanks!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Sounds like we are kind of at the same point. Here is the remainder of my list.

ER-
    New/better/more lighting
    New hot water heater
    Add raw water intake
    Replace all freshwater lines

Cockpit-
    Raw water spigot
    2 12V electric outlets

Salon-
    2" wood blinds
    Additional cabinetry(forward glass)
    Silestone
    3 brass bar stools

Galley(down)-
    Refrigerator
    Teak/holly floor
    Silestone
    New sink/fixtures

Heads-
    Teak/holly floor
    Silestone
    New sink/fixtures
    Paint/replace formica

Bridge-
    Replace gauges with MFDs

odds and ends-
    Water spigot on the bow
    110v outlet on the bridge
    Custom bow chute
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I wouldn't put anymore weight on a Conv. Than absolutely nessasary. All this granite and stone may be ok for a MY that never leaves the slip but every boat I've been on offshore creaks and groans and flexes with the motion of the ocean. 1000s of pounds of stone held in place with some silicone caulk? No thanks!
    If done right it won't be that heavy. You can build it similar to how a formica counter top is made cutting the stone to a thin layer and building it over the core.
    Jack Sardina

Shark,
    Here are a couple of ideas for audio and communications that utilize WIFI and blu tooth making installation a snap. For Audio check into SONOS for a whole boat streaming solution. All of your music is stored and accessible in any location that has the receiver-amp and a pair of speakers or their amplified speakers. They provide control through either their remote or as most users opt for; the App provided for your iPad or iPhone type device. Sound quality is very good, the devices are very small and the software for organizing you music is class leading. While on smartphones, Panasonic and Vtech have introduced new technology for wireless phone systems that provide typical Dect 6 technology from the base station/answering unit to up to 6 external handsets plus adds via blu tooth pairing with your cell phone which allows you to make and accept cell calls from any handset anywhere on your boat or home without having your cell phone on your person. It also imports your ringtones to your house phones and your contact list. Very convenient in my opinion. This system allows you to have a phone system on your boat without an external phone line.
    Randy