Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So after a few years with my 60' Roamer.....

I love this boat.

I remember the due diligence process and all the questions. Is this too much boat? Will I find a bunch of issues after I buy it? Will it cost too much to maintain?

I had Diesel Don do the engine survey. They came out fine. Yeah, I heard a few rumors. They all turned out to be no big deal.

I am happy to report that I have had no serious issues (just the standard hiccups that tend to happen on an older boat). Maintenance / upkeep is about what I thought. Basically I do one major update a year and a bunch of smaller ones. I have redone all the teak, appliances (except the washer and dryer), updated a bunch of faucets and fixtures, wipers, some exterior paint, front stateroom head refit and a good bit of detail work.

The fridge was one of the more interesting projects. Cut the old one up with a saw and brought in a Continental Commercial under counter fridge. The new fridge came in the back window. Went with a deep freeze in the dining salon. Commercial stuff is good because the regular appliance guys get funny about coming to boats. Most tell me that the fridge won't need to be touched for 20 years anyway.

Dang a 60 foot alum boat has a lot of teak!

The size was a little daunting at first as a move from a 37 to a 60 is a nice one. Basically I learned that you just need to get out there and do it. My wife and I can handle her just fine. We entertain a lot and LOVE the space.

I have learned and on a lot of things "if it is not broker, don't fix it." That is especially true on the heads. The old GM toilets rule!

The Hatt forum has been a big help (Thanks guys). I usually just search around and the answer is there.

My boat is not for everyone but for me, it is hands down the most fun thing I have ever bought!
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

Re: So after a few years with my 60' Roamer.....

Post some photos... she sounds like a nice boat and we have another Roamer owner here, as well.

Here she is docked up in downtown Chattanooga
    Attached Images

At the dock next to my Fountain.
    Attached Images

Your Rommer was one of the good ones made , Nice layout and good ruuning boat in the water. Its just hard to keep paint on the alumn. from bulbling up. She looks very nice.

As a gofast owner also, I am guessing you USE the Fountain the most, and stay aboard the Roamer?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    Your Rommer was one of the good ones made , Nice layout and good ruuning boat in the water. Its just hard to keep paint on the alumn. from bulbling up. She looks very nice.
    The paint is not too bad if you stay on it. You have to get on the corrosion quickly. Proper prep and maintenance are key.

After owning a few both glass and alum boats I can tell you what's better......neither! I don't want to start that discussion. They both have their pros and cons. I would give alum a slight edge in fresh and glass a slight edge in the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfishing View Post
    As a gofast owner also, I am guessing you USE the Fountain the most, and stay aboard the Roamer?
    That would make sense but I probably put 4 times the hours per year on the Chris. My fav runabout is my 1973 Donzi x-18.

The Fountain is a lot of fun though. It's a 35 Lightning with 500 EFI's. Nice reliable but fast combo. Burns 87 which is a bonus. I did the fire breathing custom engine thing once. It was a hoot but the 10 hour oil change and toting 110 octane was too much?

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfishing View Post
    What kind of go fast do you run?

Humm, interesting. Not what I would have guessed. You must do lots of corporate or large family outings. Both are lovely boats.

I took a Sonic 30SS, stripped off the engine hatch cushion, put non skid dry deck, custom fabricated flip up side rails, a fabricated fighting chair mount, and custom large bait/storage/cushion box on the integrated swim platform. I wanted a Bertram, wife wanted a gofast, so my friends told me I better make a gofast work for fishing. Wifey was right, it was the right boat for us. We have cruised it FAST from NYC to Nantucket and everywhere in between, and all over the place between Stuart and Key West.

I put two Mercury Racing Scorpions into it, and the premium gas issue IS a pain. Always carrying Octane booster around! Google my screen name. <gg> All the custom stuff is lightweight aircraft aluminum, frequent washing and waxing helps to hold down "the bubbles" from salt on the aluminum.

I keep having thoughts of a large stay aboard Hat to tow the Sonic over to the Bahamas and back. Almost pulled the trigger on a few 58+ boats, but the prices keep falling so I have not so far.
    Last edited by hyperfishing; 01-07-2014 at 01:58 AM.