Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Another Cummins Repower 1982 55C

Anyone have any idea how this boat would perform with these engines? I'm thinking 20Knots +/- Cruise. It seems they under powered it, I know the original engines in this boat were rated Approx 650HP 18 +/- cruise and these are a lot lighter and more efficient so should get a little better speed and a ton more range its just if your going to spend the money and the time to do it why not go with a little more HP. Maybe a 60 Series DD or a CAT ranging from 800 to 1015 HP. Either way it's huge improvment in my opinion. The listing states it use to burn 100GPH and now less than 40GPH but I think more realistically it was more like 70GPH to now 40GPH. Either way it almost doubles the range. Lastly, is it me or does it seem that the 55C's in the 1980's seem a lot larger than say a late model 2002 and newer 54C or GT54. For only being 1ft longer they just seem so much bigger, less stumpy looking, and don't get me wrong the 54C is a good looking boat it's just tiny looking compared to the 55C. The Cockpit is much smaller, the House Looks Shorter "Smaller", and the Bow looks shorter. The old 55C look like a 55. The new 54C, GT54 if you didn't know what it was, and you saw it cruising in the distance you might mistake it for a 43-48 foot boat. Examples: 43-48 Cabo or a 45 Rampage. I don't know maybe it's just me but they seem small. Anyway here's the link. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982.../United-States

Re: Another Cummins Repower 1982 55C

All that money to repower, but couldn't bare to lose that pink couch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    All that money to repower, but couldn't bare to lose that pink couch!
    LOL, Thats Custom.

It's been on eBay several times. Got up to $125 but didn't make the reserve. It's on now for 224 make offer. There were issues with the early 55's but I don't remember if it was a underpowered problem or what
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

That boats been for sale for a long time. I'd be concerned about pulling that much weight out from so low in the hull. The 53C seems to be OK with that but the 55C has a much bigger house and bridge. Might make the boat a bit too top heavy and change the sea keeping characteristics of the boat. I know a few were repowered with 3406 and C18 Cats with good results but they are heavier, more HP and most use deeper reduction gears.
    Jack Sardina

I agree.

I looked at the photos. I'm hoping that the pink couch isn't actually pink- that it's a error in the digital photo- but you never know.

You could have Cummins reprogram these engines for a bit more power, I think, but they are still kind of small for all that weight and bulk. And I would be worried about less roll stability as well, like Jack said, with so much weight removed down by the waterline or lower.

Odd. They could have had 3406E Cats, which would have been a great choice for this boat. Maybe not for the identical money, but for not a whole lot more.

I inquired about this boat several years ago but could not get much info from a different listing broker at that time. I think cruise was around 16/18 kt cruise. Looks like a good setup for cruising and light fishing. Room for a small fishing boat on the bow too.