Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"MAD HATTERAS" 1981 53' Motor Yacht

Newbie here............. I'm looking at this boat and asking the forum users if anyone knows any info on this particular boat. It is listed by Virginia Yacht Brokers and is currently moored at Atlantic Yacht Basin, VA. The seller is a retired Navy guy and that should be a good thing - right? Without seeing it in person, my gut tells me the boat is ship shape. Also, with quite a few 53's for sale and asking prices all across the map, how does a guy determine a fair sell price?

Thanks in advance

Re: "MAD HATTERAS" 1981 53' Motor Yacht

I know the boat from a decade ago. Probably not much help now. She was a decent boat but not a star. Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder (buyer). You have to go look at these boats and compare them yourself. Only you can decide whats important and not in condition and equipment/features. They are all only worth what a willing, capable buyer will pay. BTW, you can trust Chuck and Bob at VA Yacht Brokers. IMHO they're both good guys that will represent their inventory honestly.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    BTW, you can trust Chuck and Bob at VA Yacht Brokers. IMHO they're both good guys that will represent their inventory honestly.
    Based on personal experience with one of the persons mentioned, I do not share this opinion.
    My advice? Caveat emptor.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Z28, was your 56 ocean the Lady Francis before you bought her? If so she used to be a dock neighbor. Forgive me if I have asked you this before.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Z28, was your 56 ocean the Lady Francis before you bought her? If so she used to be a dock neighbor. Forgive me if I have asked you this before.
    I don't recall you asking previously, but no, that wasn't the prior name.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

I don't know the boat but she does look good from the listing. Engines look like they need some detailing. Pictures are a bit warm and the chroma is oversaturated. This makes the wood look real rich. Price seems good but you won't know until you step aboard and inspect her.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I don't know the boat but she does look good from the listing. Engines look like they need some detailing. Pictures are a bit warm and the chroma is oversaturated. This makes the wood look real rich. Price seems good but you won't know until you step aboard and inspect her.
    Whats this chroma stuff and how do you dry it out if its saturated?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mad Hatteras sat in the slip next to us for two years before going on the market. PO spent a lot of money on upgrades and I would characterize the boat as being in "good" shape, cosmetically and mechanically, and the asking price as "great".
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Down View Post
    Mad Hatteras sat in the slip next to us for two years before going on the market. PO spent a lot of money on upgrades and I would characterize the boat as being in "good" shape, cosmetically and mechanically, and the asking price as "great".
    Sounds like a great endorsement to me. Based on numerous pics of Diver Downs boat, it is one of the nicest 58YF out there.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Whats this chroma stuff and how do you dry it out if its saturated?
    Just need to "cool" those pictures and suck out some of the chroma. I could do the color correction but my rates aren't cheap. You know the deal with fixing others mistakes. Then again I bet they like how the interior wood looks almost like cherry.
    Jack Sardina