Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: "MAD HATTERAS" 1981 53' Motor Yacht

Thanks for all your comments. I'm seeing the boat Monday and I'll let you know how it goes.

Blacklab

I agree with most of the comments on this forum. The photos look pretty nice but as you know the only way to know is by seeing with your own eyes. Do not rely on the broker's information.
    I've bought and sold several boats in the past 30 years. I follow a simple rule when I'm considering a boat or making an offer.

YOU GET WHAT YOU INSPECT NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT !!! I ask this simple questions;

1) Is there a maintenance record ?
    2) How is the boat used? Charter, recreational. Is the boat a condo in the water or use regularly?
    3) Who does the maintenance? (Owner, professional service, etc).
    4) Last bottom job? (Paint, cutlass bearings etc. Also request diving maintenance record.
    5) When were the original black water hoses replaced ?

Finally if there is a scent of Diesel, Sewage, or Mildew the show is over. I crawl machinery spaces
    and check for oil, diesel, and water leaks. No boat is perfect. But you need to be aware of potential problems which translate = $$$$$$$

If you decide to go forward get a surveyor that is very detailed in his assessment. I also
    suggest an engine survey. This particular boat shows lots of engine rust which may or may not significant. Believe me it's worth it and in the big picture will save you a lot of money.

Good luck !!

Cheers
    Jose
    79 Hatteras 60
    "PILAR"
    San Diego, CA

There was a 53 that just sold in va beach 1986 that had a great interior the exterior was near perfect . It sold for 145,000. I saw the boat and it was in great shape . The 53 at great bridge is worth about 110.000. At the most.

A clean 1986 with 692s might only be worth $145K. Not sure without exploring the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    A clean 1986 with 692s might only be worth $145K. Not sure without exploring the issue.
    Seems on the low side for a clean one. Maybe right for a late '70s 53 w 8V71TIs
    Jack Sardina

J
    Just put a contract on this very boat. Been looking for a while and she Is as good or better than any I've seen.

Bobby and Betty Boop.

Has she been sitting for sale since 2013?

Just curious, not trying to be rude.

Tim

Been watching it on YW.... Good luck!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay