Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thinset/Carpet Advice

My MY is up north for the first time. The PO had enclosed the aft deck, applied a coat of thinset over the fiberglass deck and put down either marble tiles or ceramic tiles (not sure which). Well, due to the cold, the tiles have lifted and buckled. (See below). So, I am having the tiles removed (shame really) and will have the thinset smoothed out where the tiles lifted. I will then have carpet laid rather than risk another tile installation. Any wisdom at how best to have the carpet attached to the thinset? I am reluctant to let a home carpet place nail wooden strips to the thinset for fear about going too deep and hitting the deck or alternatively not using stainless nails. Also, I am not sure I just want a piece of carpet cut and bound just sitting without any attachment.
    Attached Images

Re: Thinset/Carpet Advice

When you say "thinset" this to me means a mortar type substance that is applied with a trowel, typically over solid concrete or concrete board (which is over wood). Is this what you have?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Eric - I really have no idea what I have beyond what the picture shows. I doubt they laid a subfloor of wood over the fiberglass deck both because of moisture concerns and the crowning of the deck. My guess is they just applied some type of self leveling stuff (but not cement or concrete) over the deck and placed the tiles right on that. There were two problems with the install. First, there were no expansion joints and second, the tiles themselves were butted up to each other. Sort of the same issue. Since the boat had never been north, I guess they never had this problem. It appears to me that there is no really feasible way to eliminate whatever is left under the tiles so my choice is to go over it with padding and carpet.

FWIW, on my boats I simply bound the carpet edges, did cut outs for the pipe supports and let the carpet lay. I never had an issue with edges lifting or the carpet moving. Be sure your carpet choice will resist fading and water.

Bobk

"FWIW, on my boats I simply bound the carpet edges, did cut outs for the pipe supports and let the carpet lay. "

We did exactly the same on our 53's aft deck and it's been ideal. It can be easily lifted/rolled back if you need to for any reason yet it stays in place without moving around. We used a jute-type carpeting that has worn like iron now for the past 6 years. Looks sort of like this: http://canvas-tarpaulin.com/products/jute1.jpg
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I am hoping to match the berber looking carpet in the salon. The tile pull and schmear is scheduled for tomorrow. I had carpet patterned and bound on my 43 and it has been great. It is down all season and is essentially weatherproof. However, it is not quite up to what I would want on the enclosed aft deck,if I can get a better quality.

John, it looks like you can just pick those tiles up. Have they all just let go? The white substance under the tiles almost looks like styrofoam in your photos. Unless it's really solid and looks like it's not going anywhere, I think I'd want to try to get whats underneath up and off the boat. If whatever it is is hard, it could perhaps crumble and come loose later under the carpet. This sounds like it could become a substantial project.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I am hoping to match the berber looking carpet in the salon. The tile pull and schmear is scheduled for tomorrow. I had carpet patterned and bound on my 43 and it has been great. It is down all season and is essentially weatherproof. However, it is not quite up to what I would want on the enclosed aft deck,if I can get a better quality.
    If they can level the surface, why not glue the new carpet?
    Eric

It does look like styrofoam but is hard as a rock. The more I hear from folks here, the more I might be inclined to go with a bound carpet with a rubberized back padding like on my 43. It is heavy enough so it will not move but I hate like heck to have anything less than indoor looking carpet on a fully enclosed and sealed aft deck. There is no practical way I can think of to get all of that stuff up and I am reluctant to use some type of impact hammer on a space that size. Worst of all, it is going to be one of those projects that once done, will never really be scrutinized again.

I just pulled up the interior photos of your boat (from soldboats). I see what you're saying. So the tile doesn't run under the cabinetry on the stbd side? My only concern with loose lay carpet cut and bound is getting a nice tight joint at the threshold into the main saloon.
    Eric