Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Wanted: 454 Mercruisers

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I believe 454's didn't come to mercruiser stern drive world until 1987ish. And this was on alpha drives that blew up a lot on single applications. 1988 the bravo drive came out to handle more power. My go fast has twin 454 with alphas and is the last year--1988 had bravos.

Inboards mercruiser got the 454 earlier, I think.
    454's did come first as inboards, and the Bravo 1 didn't really come into play until 1989. Prior to that, they were mated to TRS drives. As memory serves, B1's were introduced in very late 1988, but they were still using Alpha 1's hooked to 454's in '88. Had a new '88 32 Pachanga with white Alpha 1's with Sea Ray instead of MerCruiser decals on the outdrives. They only did that in 1988 as even the Mercury outboards were painted white. Blasphemy!!
    Last edited by Freeebird; 11-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Ok. We're getting too picky on dates LOL. All I know is I have a 1987 wellcraft with 454/alphas and my friend had the same boat that had 454/bravo1. NOW...I though it was 1988, but you know it could be 1989 . Who cares? I hate sterndrives, and I know how to fix everything on them!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Ok. We're getting too picky on dates LOL. All I know is I have a 1987 wellcraft with 454/alphas and my friend had the same boat that had 454/bravo1. NOW...I though it was 1988, but you know it could be 1989 . Who cares? I hate sterndrives, and I know how to fix everything on them!
    Krush its not about you. I think the statement was that they did not offer the 427's when that boat was built.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Krush its not about you. I think the statement was that they did not offer the 427's when that boat was built.
    Are YOU sure about that?

I didn't mean to phrase my question to Jim as my possibly knowing more than he did about his boat, it's just that I never saw older Hatts with MerCruiser power. Then again, I never looked for one until I ran across mine and knew it was a repower.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Who cares?

No doubt your '87 couldn't have had B1's, but like I said, I think some late '88 B1's were around. They stopped mating 454's to Alpha's after the Bravo's came out.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Are YOU sure about that?

I didn't mean to phrase my question to Jim as my possibly knowing more than he did about his boat, it's just that I never saw older Hatts with MerCruiser power. Then again, I never looked for one until I ran across mine and knew it was a repower.
    I never recall MerCruiser making a 427 and I think Randy may be right on Hatteras not offering them until the Brunswick years. I do think Hatteras offered the Chris Craft 427's back then and maybe that is what Dr. Jim's boat left New Bern with.

MerCruiser did offer a 427, but I've never heard of one in a Hatt.

http://www.romeosmarine.com/images/O...tification.pdf
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    MerCruiser did offer a 427, but I've never heard of one in a Hatt.

http://www.romeosmarine.com/images/O...tification.pdf
    Interesting information Randy. Were they Chevy blocks? I have never seen a boat with Merc 427's, so my curiosity is up. Did the horsepower increase much when the 454 came out?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Brunswick took over Hatteras the smallest boat in the lineup was 50 ft. I don't think they were offering Mercruisers anywhere in the lineup.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    Interesting information Randy. Were they Chevy blocks? I have never seen a boat with Merc 427's, so my curiosity is up. Did the horsepower increase much when the 454 came out?
    Yep, they were Chevy blocks (only big blocks used by MC), but I've never seen a 427 MerCruiser either. Based on the info in the previous link, I assume the 427 had to be the 390 listed based on the fact t only shows availability in '69-'70. I'm assuming that was 390 horsepower which is actually higher than the base 454 that replaced it.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93