Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Wanted: 454 Mercruisers

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Brunswick took over Hatteras the smallest boat in the lineup was 50 ft. I don't think they were offering Mercruisers anywhere in the lineup.
    You're right. Brunswick came into play in 2001, so that begs the question... did Hatteras ever offer an option for MerCruiser power? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. I know my 41 runs great with 7.4's.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

FWIW, I had a boat with Mercruiser 454 that were counter rotating, 350 hp . If I recall they were 1980. We used to call the "backwards" one the bastard engine as it always seemed if there was going to be any troubles it was with that one........Pat

Question Re: Wanted: 454 Mercruisers

In response to the original request.......I have a pair of Marine Power 454's w/Paragon tranny's in my Hatt now. They are RH & LH rotation. I have been considering a re-power. So...let's cut to the chase.....what are they worth to you?????
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    You're right. Brunswick came into play in 2001, so that begs the question... did Hatteras ever offer an option for MerCruiser power? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. I know my 41 runs great with 7.4's.
    I have a 1974 31' Hatteras with the original 454 Mercruisers and Borg Warner gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    I have a 1974 31' Hatteras with the original 454 Mercruisers and Borg Warner gears.
    Well, I guess that answers that question.

So, Jim, you sure about those 427 MerCruisers?

Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    Interesting information Randy. Were they Chevy blocks? I have never seen a boat with Merc 427's, so my curiosity is up. Did the horsepower increase much when the 454 came out?
    Merc marinized quite a few 427 Chevys. They were rated at 325 HP. A lot of Gas Hatts had the Chris Craft 427 rated at 300 hp. It is a Ford engine and is famous in racing circles.
    Prior to that all the Gas Hatts I have seen had Cryslers.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Your Hatt came with 427 MerCruisers? You sure about that?
    Pretty sure. I know they were 427 Chevrolet engines, originally, they were RH/LH rotation, and they were exchanged for 454 long blocks when they wore out, before I got the boat. Definitely they were opposite rotation engines- I checked while they were running. The gears were a different model from one side to the other as well.

The marinizing accessories on the engines were Mercruiser, but one engine had it's HE at the front, and one at the back. (we converted the one with the front HE because it didn't cool as well)

It's been a long time on all this, but the engines did rotate in opposite directions; I'm sure of that.

As for whether the original brand was CC or Merc, actually I'm NOT sure on that. On my boat's first change of engines, the 427s were removed and replaced with 454s. They kept the manifolds and HEs and pumps etc; they also kept the gears. I think those changes were made by the previous owners to me, who would have been the third owners of the boat. At some point they converted one engine from the front-mounted HE, which I think was dual-pass, to the rear-mounted HE, which I think is triple-pass. If memory serves I converted the remaining engine to a triple-pass HE soon after I bought the boat. I also replaced some manifolds and the replacements were Mercruiser manifolds (and risers)
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 12-02-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Original should be chris craft 350 or 454. I would look for crusaders if going for a repower with gas engines. But if 200 hp 4 cyl yanmars are an option you will have a great boat.
    Scot
    My first hat was a 34c 1964 i think it had 440 chrysler gas motors. Man it was a gas hog had to install side tanks to get it to the blue water and back. I thought the compition used the chevy and merkcruiser motors.. But what do i know..