Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wanted: 454 Mercruisers

Searching for a complete set of 454 counter rotating 454 mercruisers. Please email me at captscottc@gmail.com with information. Thanks and see ya on the one whistle.
    S-
    "Honey, can I have a check?"

1991 Sea Ray 370 Sedan Bridge
    1975 Hatteras 31 Sport Cruiser (sold)
    1971 Hatteras 38 Convertible (sold)
    1987 Viking 35 Convertible (sold )
    2004 21' Palm Beach CC
    3 tugs and a skiff

Re: Wanted: 454 Mercruisers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all 454 MerCruisers were left hand rotation and the transmissions were what made them counter-rotating. The '93 7.4's in my 41 are left hand and use Hurth transmissions for counter-rotation.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy, my boat originally had 427s (Mercs) in RH and LH rotation. So she had two different transmissions, one with a reversing cog in it and one without. The gears were BW 72s. You are right that later gas boats came with two LH engines and gears which could be run full speed in either "fwd" or "rev". My original 427s were replaced with 454s.

As I recall it, the problem was that no one made a lightweight gear at the time which could run fwd or rev like a Twin Disc or modern ZF. The clutch packs for forward and reverse were said to be different- you could not run those gears hard in reverse.

Now, boats with two gas engines are set up like yours- both engines run LH and one transmission runs in "reverse" all the time- that is, it reverses the direction of rotation.

If you want to try to wrap your head around something I have always had a difficult time understanding (not unusual)- what is the list of parts you have to change in a LH gas engine to make it RH rotation? I'm still trying to figure that out, but I THINK it's the crank, the cam, the oil pump, and the distributor. I've probably left something out.

Your Hatt came with 427 MerCruisers? You sure about that?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Did a little checking and found info on RH 454's. All the stern drives were LH, but not all the inboards.

http://www.perfprotech.com/blog/boat...marine-engines
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Original should be chris craft 350 or 454. I would look for crusaders if going for a repower with gas engines. But if 200 hp 4 cyl yanmars are an option you will have a great boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

454's came out in 1970, but I don't know when Mercruiser introduced them in a marinized version. I didn't think MerCruisers were available in Hatt's until Brunswick came into the picture.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If you want to try to wrap your head around something I have always had a difficult time understanding (not unusual)- what is the list of parts you have to change in a LH gas engine to make it RH rotation? I'm still trying to figure that out, but I THINK it's the crank, the cam, the oil pump, and the distributor. I've probably left something out.
    AFAIK it's the cam, and cam drive gears. All the rest stays the same except the water pump on some engines. Some water pumps are bi-directional. Distributor wiring is connected for opposite firing order in same rotation as the LH distributor.
    Last edited by Avenger; 11-30-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I believe 454's didn't come to mercruiser stern drive world until 1987ish. And this was on alpha drives that blew up a lot on single applications. 1988 the bravo drive came out to handle more power. My go fast has twin 454 with alphas and is the last year--1988 had bravos.

Inboards mercruiser got the 454 earlier, I think.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    AFAIK it's the cam, and cam drive gears. All the rest stays the same except the water pump on some engines. Some water pumps are bi-directional. Distributor wiring is connected for opposite firing order in same rotation as the LH distributor.
    Yup. Instead of two timing gears (crank and cam) connected by a timing chain, there are two intermeshing gears. The former causes both the cam and the crank to run in the same direction; the latter makes them run opposite.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau