Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bilge Alarm

Bilge Alarm

Last week when I tried to start the engines on a cold 37 morning the port engine battery was a bit low and drained down a bit. I noticed the high water alarm went off. I'm not sure if it was tripped prior to starting the engines but don't recall hearing it before. I was starting from the ER so I wouldn't hear it anyway. Checked all bilges and all we're dry. Checked all the high water switches and all seem OK. Had to turn off all the bilge pump breakers to get the alarm to clear. Started the boat today and same thing. Alarm tripped after I tried starting the port engine. Port battery bank is a bit low but good enough to start the engine cold with temps in the low 40's. Anyone ever run into this or have any suggestions?
    Jack Sardina

Re: Bilge Alarm

I've not had that issue with the high water alarms, but do have with the central alarm panel. It seems to be very voltage sensitive. If my mains are running, and I start the genny, it always lights up at least one of the sensor alarms. When silenced, it doesn't return... So I certainly would suspect its a low voltage issue.

Yes low voltage. Often you can run it up to get the alternator to excite and once the voltage comes up the alarm clears.

Thanks guys. I figured it was a voltage issue but wasn't sure if it was a bad sensor since it only happened with the bilge alarm. First time this ever happened but like I said those batteries were a bit low. Looks like I'll be changing out that bank again. They're only 2 years old. They went flat when we had no power for 3 weeks during Sandy. I'm sure that contributed to their short life.
    Jack Sardina