Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Reccomended paint for DD 871's

I am the proud new owner of a 1978 46 Hatteras which happens to double as my current residence as well. The main engines are original turbocharged Detroit Diesel 871s and are showing their age. I would like to clean up the corroded parts and touch up the paint on them. I am not looking to do an all out, look like new paint job, I simply want to put a decent coat on them to clean them up and preserve the components. Any good recommendations for what to use? Also, I would really like to paint the exhaust manifolds but am not sure of a good high temperature paint to use.

Re: Reccomended paint for DD 871's

I brushed Rustoleum Professional on mine including the exhaust manifolds and it worked great. Just a light wash with Dawn before painting. The stuff sticks to anything even if slightly oily and the price is right. My engines were very close to the almond color. It's not a high temp paint but I only got slight discoloration where the exhaust exits. Easy to do touchups with this also.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Concur with previous recommendation - actually, just about any rattle-can engine paint will work fine. As noted, the exh manfold will discolor at each port for about 2" but not beyond the point at which the individual runner joins the manifold. There is hi temp paint available for that purpose if the discoloration bothers you. I consider that discoloration to be the way cast iron exhaust manifolds are SUPPOSED to look so it is a correct appearance as far as I am concerned. Others may feel differently!

The hardest part IMO re engine painting is ensuring the paint does not get on wires/hoses/hose clamps/fittings,etc. But a little masking tape and some cardboard "protector/shields" do the job.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Just in case your engines aren't white, Alpine Green is the correct DD green and it's available in rattle-cans from Krylon.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quick engine detailing tip (and Ive made my fair share of Detroits photo perfect..). Instead of using masking tape in all non critical areas, just use tinfoil from the grocery store. You can get it to cover , wrap, protect almost any part on the engine and taking it off is simple. Then just wad up and throw in a bag. I hate painted wires, hoses and hose clamps and this works perfectly. Just my tip 'O the day