Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Favorite Flushing Chemical?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • OSPHO

4 44.44%
  • Barnacle Buster

3 33.33%
  • Rydlyme

0 0%
  • Other

2 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Favorite Flushing Chemical

I was going to suggest aqua regia. It cleans better than any other acid ive ever seen.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I was going to suggest aqua regia. It cleans better than any other acid ive ever seen.
    Especially if you heat it up first. You'll never have to clean those parts again.

Bobk

By the way, Barnacle Buster is simply phosphoric acid at a 'marine store' price.
    http://trac-online.com/pdf/MSDS-Barnacle_Buster.pdf

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    By the way, Barnacle Buster is simply phosphoric acid at a 'marine store' price.
    My local Home Depot has Klean-Strip® Phosphoric Prep & Etch, more of the same I suppose.

http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/K...%2018%2012.pdf

So I guess phosphoric acid is okay to dump overboard according to Barnacle Buster although they claim that there are "special proprietary additives" in it.

Rydlyme appear to be Muriatic (HCl) based.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 11-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Any input on a product called "Hammerhead Marine descaler"? Claims to be safe for aluminum - Bob K do you know what the active chemical is?

Thanks - been a while since we have checked this site.

Quote Originally Posted by the kuz View Post
    Any input on a product called "Hammerhead Marine descaler"? Claims to be safe for aluminum - Bob K do you know what the active chemical is?

Thanks - been a while since we have checked this site.
    Welcome back. No, I have no idea what it is. There is no MSDS listed for it. The manufacturers description provides no info. I would stay with phosphoric acid but not for aluminum systems.

Bobk

I voted other simply because I've always physically removed the elements and brought them to Holt radiator to boil them out. After bending me over to the tune of $550. this past spring I'm looking for alternatives. I'm inclined to go with Genesis's process, or as Ill coin the phrase now, 'The Genesis Process'! It is well thought out, tested and refined. The lucid instructions leave only the boat specific situations to the operator. Thank you!

im with mike p. I use muriatic and oxalic acid to clean my exchangers and intercoolers too, I always remove them and do it off the boat and rinse really good, that is the key rinse really good because it is very caustic. it is also what Detroit recommends