Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

View Poll Results: Favorite Flushing Chemical?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • OSPHO

4 44.44%
  • Barnacle Buster

3 33.33%
  • Rydlyme

0 0%
  • Other

2 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Flushing Chemical

There are lots of threads about this including Genesis' detailed instructions recommending OSPHO. I thought I would take the pulse since we have some new members and this is on my winter list.

What is your favorite flushing chemical?

Why? (cost, environmentally friendly, effectiveness)

Do you dilute it?

Do you use the same for AC and engine HX?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: Favorite Flushing Chemical

Great timing. I was going to flush mine as well. I was in the market for a bilge pump and tygon hoses to build it myself. As for the voting? I'll sit this one out since I know squat on the subject.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I voted for the phosphoric acid because that is all I have ever used. I dilute it about 4 or 5 to 1 and back flush raw water systems and A/C units the with same.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If I was going to use the Nancy-boy chemicals, I'd do what Sky does.

I use muriatic acid/oxalic acid as per DD service manual recommendations to clean the HE/intercoolers.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Your HOF chemist votes to NOT use muriatic acid. A mech did that to me several years ago and set up a rusting issue in the ER that started the hose clamps to fail. Four in one trip. Muriatic AKA and more technically correct, hydrochloric acid, has significant vapor pressure and it corrodes all manner of things. That's why Karl (Genesis) recommends phosphoric acid. It's non volatile.

I had my Baltimore mech flush my HE's this fall using a mix of phosphoric and oxalic acids. I asked him what he thought (he always used muriatic in the past) and he said it was GREAT!. Neither acid has an appreciable vapor pressure. Dilute the phosphoric 3 or 4 to one, and add a couple of table spoons of oxalic acid crystals in a couple of gallons of the diluted acid and you are ready to go.

Bobk

On more careful reading, I should not have responded at all; I remove/clean the HE/Intercoolers and dip them in the DD-recommended solution. I don't do the flush thing. I apologize for my misleading original post.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I use Ospho from Ace diluted around 3/1. About 1/2 hour per engine and AC units. Remove and blank off the zincs.
    With the hoses and small bilge pump kept made up it's a quick job and looking inside H/E's after they are like new pennies. Dismantle every third year to check all is OK.

"after they are like new pennies."

Oh no, they turn into Zinc?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have often thought of doing the flush but I prefer having the items off and watch them boiling and inspect them to see that they look like new. Hey, I also pull all the RW impellers as part of winterization. We all do what we are comfortable with…regardless how weird it may seem to others…
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I use the phosphoric as outlined by Genesis. Have done this every other year with great results. Haven't used any other product so can't comment for comparison.

I have started using Barnacle Buster. It is not cheap but it does not gag you and it is ok to pump overboard. It works great and it seems to work best when circulated.
    Like Bob said the fumes from muriatic acid will rust and corrode metal.