Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What the heck is this???

Your inverter must be feeding them. They only hum when fed AC voltage. If you disconnect the batteries the hum will stop.

Thanks all. I went down to the boat today and disconnected the shore power cable from the boat and...........no hum, so it appears hey are working as they should. I could have sworn when I was down there last, probably 2 weeks ago that they were humming but perhaps not. Something did kill my batteries though. I may have left my Neewmar inverter on. Do you think that would have killed they batts in a 2 week period?

Are you sure that you didn't leave a light on? I accidentally left the gen room lights on one winter and when I came back the batts were dead. Now I always make sure to turn off the DC ships service disconnect when I leave.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,
    You may very well be correct. I have started that practice of throwing the main off before I leave. The boat is new to me, and fairly complicated as far as the systems go, but I'm learning quickly. I was down there yesterday winterizing and was pretty proud of myself that I got the freshwater and AC units all done. Mains and Genny are left, but I have figured out how to do them. Funny, never saw a sea strainer mounted sideways before! Makes for challenging winterizing! Next spring I am going to pop those strainers off and tap them for a ball valve to make next years winterizing easier. Thanks for the help Sky.

My 8-53's have a 1" pipe plug on the pump. I remove the plug, insert a screw in nipple with a hose, close the sea cock and put the hose in a pail of antifreeze and fire them up. Easiest winterizing job i have ever done.

Art
    TROUBLE
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Nice! My strainers don't have that, but I'm going to have them tapped next year to make this easier.

Trouble
    Just reread your thread. I misunderstood. Are you saying you have a plug on your impeller pump that you plug the nipple into???? I didn't look to see if I had that option on mine. I've got 8-71 TI's.

The pipe plug is on the pump

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY