Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thank You to all of our service men and women, past and present !!!!

Hi All,

I hope the forum will endulge me, but I want to take a minute to say thank you, thank you to all of the men and women who serve our great nation, thank you for your commitment and sacrifice, thank you for defending our way of life, and I want to recognize their families and extended families for what they endure.

Veterans Day is of particular importance to me as my Dad, who died in 09 at 80, spent 21 years in the United States Navy Seabees, and achieved the rank of Chief Petty Officer. I miss him every day and regret often that I didn't learn more about his service, he was reluctant to go to deep.

My father had a pride and respect and love for this country seldom seen in our youth today. He often told me that his time in service was the greatest time of his life, and his travels around the world a great adventure.

He would be disgusted in the state of our republic today. He would be disgusted with how poorly our brave men and women are treated. He would be disgusted with......I need to stop now, this forum isn't the right place for politics.

He made me memorize this when I was a kid:

"that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Please leave your message of appreciation and thanks and support if you can relate.
    Last edited by lumina; 11-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Re: Thank You to all of our service men and women, past and present !!!!

That was very thoughtful and I liked it so much that I copied and sent it in an email to my Son in Afghanistan. He will appreciate those fine words.
    Art

Men like your father are a rare bread. Back then the ships were made of wood and the men made of steel. The Seabees were a tough bunch that worked 24/7 under live fire. If they didnt build it, nobody could land the planes and resupply the troops. I agree 100% with what you say. I served in the navy and learned to respect our country. Back then President Reagan gave us something to be proud of. A far cry from the last few years. Makes me sick.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

4. Re: Thank You to all of our service men and women, past and present !!!!

Very touching... Thank you for posting.
    Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
    http://janice142.com

5. Re: Thank You to all of our service men and women, past and present !!!!

There are still a lot of good kids (men and women) serving... remember though not so long ago when almost every car had an American flag hanging from a window? I still wear my tack pin of the US flag, but I can't tell you the last time I saw another.

Still, most days when the wind cooperates the flag flies from the post at my stern. And the Loopers coming thru mostly fly too. That's always nice to see.

Patriotism isn't just about a calendar event... it's every day. And there's something chipper about seeing the stars and stripes on a boat. I like it.
    Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
    http://janice142.com

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    That was very thoughtful and I liked it so much that I copied and sent it in an email to my Son in Afghanistan. He will appreciate those fine words.
    Where is he over there? My Son is a ISR pilot on his 7 th deployment at Bagram. He flies the MC12
    http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispla...oy-ambush.aspx
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Where is he over there? My Son is a ISR pilot on his 7 th deployment at Bagram. He flies the MC12
    http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispla...oy-ambush.aspx
    He's a maintenance air advisor to the Afghan Air Force. He's in Kabul with the 438 AEW. He has 14 years in and has been to all the "sand boxes" over the years starting with Iraq.
    Art

Gene,
    Excellent message.
    Thanks to all of the sons and daughters who have served, and thanks to their families.
    Based upon my experiences with those in our military subject to going in harms way, we have little to worry about, regarding the level of leadership and character, at their level.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956