Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Engine coolant to water heater

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Yes, I think those are the radiators that Hamilton sells. I think I am glad I live in a climate where I don't need them. They would be great in NE or the PacNW, though. Or if you used your boat year-round in these parts.
    I had one set up in a T Jason Downeast I would fish late into the season up here in NE, they work great .I have a loop for my water heater off my port engine on my current 36Convertible II, works great as well. There is a 5 degree difference in the two engine temps ,have seen the same in another boat I owned as well. I always wrote it off as additional heat exchange.

So, the domestic side of the hear exgr is running at 60 psi, the engine side is at 5 psi, the HEX springs a leak...go figure the rest...

The domestic hot water temperature can be reduced by using a thermostatic mixing valve at the tanks outlet, this will add cold water to the hot automatically.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell...0#.UoKUssTFJjo

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    So, the domestic side of the hear exgr is running at 60 psi, the engine side is at 5 psi, the HEX springs a leak...go figure the rest...
    I figure with the above numbers domestic water will run into the exhaust system, when you run out of water the engine will overheat, just like when a hose or engine heat exchanger pops a leak. What's to figure?

Like anything on a boat or most mechanical things, routine maintenance, and inspections are required. Talk to most marine repair people, and you will find that had the owner done the propper aforementioned tasks, a large percentage of their problems could have been avoided. It's so easy to find a fault or problem with someones idea, just to avoid a tiny bit of additional work. The use of hot engine exhaust water has been in use successfully for years, before most of use were boating.