Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Inverter option ?

Was it normal for a Hatteras to not come with an inverter?
    or was this something that needed to be added as an option.
    Was reading the manuals I got from Hatteras on this new 1991 52C , and low and behold.
    No wonder I could not find it. The manuals do not even mention it has one installed.
    Says you can get power via the Gen or Shorepower and that's it.
    Only thing it mentions is the 12 or 24 volt junk necessary to run the boat

How hard is it to install one of these, and what appox cost?
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Re: Inverter option ?

I bought a Magnum 3000W with 140amp charger with remote. I also have 6, 6 volt golf cart batteries for house purposes. I didnt feel comfortable installing it myself so I hired the best elecrical company I could find. Also a switch to combine the starting bank so the engine alternator can charge the house bank while running the engines. All the wires are large and expensive, not to mention the switch and labor installing them. An estimate is $2000 for the inverter, $700 batteries, $300 for wires, lugs and switch. I think about $2000 for the installation. If my memory serves me correctly about 5K for the whole thing. I cant see traveling without one. It keeps the hours off the genny while running the engines. Also we anchor for a week at a time and run off the batteries with starting the genny and charging the battery bank 1 1/2 hrs in the am and same in the pm. It works like a charm. When you get right down to it, its all about keeping the refrigerator and freezer running. Not to forget about the ice maker. Its the Bomb.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I would think that Hatteras would be concerned about the technology not being secure enough to stop battery discharge to the point of stranding the vessel even though house and start batts may be different. There is also the issue of cost in a competitive market place, custom Yachts would of course be different as the owner could insist and sign off on an inverter installation, this is technology that is not truly turn key, the vessel owner would need good technical ability to understand the downsides and proper operational procedures.
    My 2c...

Inverters were not standard on the old hatts. Probably still not standard on many boats.

Inverters run from from a few hundred to tens of thousands depending on what you want. A turn key full boat system running everything and controlling the genny can be expensive. I know. I installed on for a customer that was close to $40k. It did have all the ac upgraded to boost and switch seamlessly though.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

$40K? For an inverter?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Dual synchronized 125v 50A inverters
    220 v 50 amp auto buck boost and iso transformer
    220 v 50 amp 4 input auto switch.
    4 agm 8d batteries.
    Generator interface
    remote panel
    all new wire and cabling.

It adds up quick when you work with big electrical devices.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

If you don't have an electrical background, you should contact an expert for pricing and installation. This is not a DIY item except for those who really know what they are doing. People can die or the boat can burn up if this is not installed properly.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you don't have an electrical background, you should contact an expert for pricing and installation. This is not a DIY item except for those who really know what they are doing. People can die or the boat can burn up if this is not installed properly.
    Amen to that sky. One mistake and all the smoke leaks out of the wires. Its not easy to put it back. Then again diy systems help sell props and shafts too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

9. Re: Inverter option ?

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    I bought a Magnum 3000W with 140amp charger with remote. I also have 6, 6 volt golf cart batteries for house purposes. I didnt feel comfortable installing it myself so I hired the best elecrical company I could find. Also a switch to combine the starting bank so the engine alternator can charge the house bank while running the engines. All the wires are large and expensive, not to mention the switch and labor installing them. An estimate is $2000 for the inverter, $700 batteries, $300 for wires, lugs and switch. I think about $2000 for the installation. If my memory serves me correctly about 5K for the whole thing. I cant see traveling without one. It keeps the hours off the genny while running the engines. Also we anchor for a week at a time and run off the batteries with starting the genny and charging the battery bank 1 1/2 hrs in the am and same in the pm. It works like a charm. When you get right down to it, its all about keeping the refrigerator and freezer running. Not to forget about the ice maker. Its the Bomb.
    guess I'll be putting a ton of hrs on the gen. Gen on has 15 hrs on it (well not counting the few I've put on it since I got the boat).
    There goes the quite coves Damn yacht running his gen 24x7
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Before I had an inverter, I would run the generator only about 3-4 hours about 3 times per day. That was enough to keep the fridge cold. I would also keep ice packs in the freezer and transfer them to the top of the refrigerator when the generator was off. This would keep the refer side cold longer. No need for 24/7 generator operation.

BTW, if running the generator 24/7, you will likely be running it with a very light load much of the time. This not conducive to engine longevity.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI