Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Glass replacement caulking recommendations?

Am replacing the front starboard windshield glass on a 1972 53MY. Just removing the glass, not the frame. Have talked with Steve McPherson and ordered the appropriate gasket/trim/shims and reviewed the PDF file instructions. He mentioned several different caulks, one being a Sika product. There are several different ones- does anyone have experience with it, ie which number? This is going between glass and original frame and a bead under the trim. Reviewed some old posting-- any other suggestion ( 3M,boat life, etc.)?

Larry
    Seadation

Re: Glass replacement caulking recommendations?

I have used Boatlife polysulfide with good results for this application.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Give Broadus Rose with Lookout Boat Window Frames. He builds one piece window frames and he'll tell you what caulking to use even if you're not buying frames. His number is 252 723 2222.

4200 by 3M will work great. Do NOT use 5200.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Thanks, know not to use 5200, will add 4200 as a possibility. I know not to use silicone, but Boatlife makes a caulk that is mixture of polyurethane and silicone which they advertize for windows- anyone have experience with this??

Larry

I have used that Boatlife product for bedding plexiglass in a hatch. It has worked fine, but it is very much like silicone. I would stick with the polysulfide for the windshields. That is what Hatteras used originally.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Go to "Frequently Asked Service Questions" here and see the post "Windshield glass by Jimmy Watts". I did this on all 3 windows in a 1978 53MY. I used Boatlife polysulfide caulk. The key is to get the frame as clean as possible, use the recommended materials and cut strips carefully. ALSO, NEVER USE SILICONE CAULK. If somebody put silicone caulk in your windows before, it may be very hard to get anything to stick correctly. (The first window caulking FAQ showed somebody using silicone.)

It is not well explained about the strip that holds the glass in before the final caulk is applied. After you place the glass, leave 1/4 inch or so around the edges and caulk it, you slide cut pieces of the retainer strip between the outside of the glass and just under the frame edge for the glass, but not the outermost groove that holds the vinyl strip. This holds the glass in place while you are caulking outside. After the first caulk and the retainer pieces, you apply the outside vinyl strip and squirt caulk under it to fill in the space, pressing the outside edge of the strip down against the glass letting some excess caulk goosh out on the glass. After it all cures, go back with a razor knife and cut off the excess down to the vinyl strip edge.

It is also good advice to tape off the outer groove of the mounting so you don't get caulk in the groove because this is the groove that the outer vinyl cover goes into and it needs to be free of caulk to slide the strip in. Be careful cutting the corners of the vinyl because it is not a plain 45 degree angle even though the window has square corners. Best to leave some extra when inserting and match the two strip corners when you cut.

Doug
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 11-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzk View Post
    Give Broadus Rose with Lookout Boat Window Frames. He builds one piece window frames and he'll tell you what caulking to use even if you're not buying frames. His number is 252 723 2222.
    he is a very nice guy and easy to talk to

Talked with Broadus Rose, very nice,very helpful. Suggested staying away from Sikaflex but recommended Souval-seal, even told me where company located. Googled it- nothing even close came up. Sounds like Boatlife polysulfite is way to go. Think Doug's suggestion will be very helpful- thanks. When I receive gasket/shims/seal from SAMs, I will start. Keep you informed.

One question I forgot to ask Steve. I will use spacers to keep the glass off the lower part of frame during placement, but the shims used to hold the glass suggests that the gasket adheres to the frame but not the glass-is this the case? Can I move the glass prior to shim placement?

Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
    Talked with Broadus Rose, very nice,very helpful. Suggested staying away from Sikaflex but recommended Souval-seal, even told me where company located. Googled it- nothing even close came up. Sounds like Boatlife polysulfite is way to go. Think Doug's suggestion will be very helpful- thanks. When I receive gasket/shims/seal from SAMs, I will start. Keep you informed.

One question I forgot to ask Steve. I will use spacers to keep the glass off the lower part of frame during placement, but the shims used to hold the glass suggests that the gasket adheres to the frame but not the glass-is this the case? Can I move the glass prior to shim placement?
    Yes, but while the gasket does not stick to the glass it's not slippery either so there is still natural resistance to moving the glass. Do not try to move it by prying with tools as you can chip or start a crack in the glass. Move it with those cheap vacuum glass handlers (like a few bucks each).