Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reverse Polarity with Generator

I ran the generator today for the first time with the inverter switched on. With the generator running, the reverse polarity lights on the breaker to the inverter and ones on the sub panel came on. There are no polarity issues when the shore power feeds the inverter.

Until I wired the inverter, there was no polarity indicator other than the polarity light for the shore power. This generator was installed 6 years ago by the PO.

Other than an improper generator connection, is there an explanation for the polarity lights to come on?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Reverse Polarity with Generator

Is it an inverter/charger?
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Get out your multimeter. It should be pretty easy to check it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Since it seems to have started with the installation/use of the inverter, the inverter-related connections are the ones I'd check first. I assume that the inverter is "sharing" the circuits with the genney/shore power circuits, right? That is, when the shore/genny is running, circuit X receives power from either of those and when the genny is not running/shore is disconnected, the inverter runs circuit X.

If so, does the inverter take up the load automatically (pass-through) or do you turn it on when you want it to operate the appropriate circuits?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I wonder if the inverter install is a cause or a coincidence since until the install, I do not think there was anything to indicate reversed polarity for the generator.

It is an inverter / charger.
    The AC feed for the inverter comes after the selector switch for shore power or generator and leads to a 30 amp breaker which allows me to shut off the AC to the inverter. The inverter passes power thru to a sub panel for the port, stbd, and refrigerator outlets. That same AC line also feeds a rotary switch allowing me to take power directly from the selector without passing thru the inverter.

There are no polarity issues indicated when running off shore power or passing shore power through the inverter, and no issues when running off the inverter.

With the generator running, there are polarity warnings both on pass thru and direct with the inverter turned off.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

The Mystery Expands,

I used a digital multimeter to check voltage at the main ac switch.

I removed the inverter from the circuit:

off shore power

Hot to Neutral = 123 volts
    Neutral to Ground = 0.4 volts
    Hot to Ground = 123 volts

off Generator

Hot to Neutral = 118 volts
    Neutral to Ground = 49 volts
    Hot to Ground = 69 volts

Makes no sense to me
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Sounds like the generator ground is not connected. When the generator was wired one wire off the generator AC output should be grounded to polarize the output. I suggest you get the generator manual out, look up the electric hookup instructions, focus on the grounding required, and modify your setup as needed. If it is the original Hatteras installation, something is loose or corroded in the grounding at the generator.

Pete

Agree with Pete - Your measurements indicate, contrary to what I thought earlier, that there's a genny connection problem. Sort out the genny connections and then re check polarity.

I've have a fairly long suggestion partially written re the inverter setup but if the above solves the problem then no need to go further.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Just one additional item, the polarity light. These indicators are just a light bulb with one lead on the green wire ground and one on the white wire neutral. Since your white wire and ground (bonding system) are not properly connected the 49 volts you are reading cause the light to be on. Bottom line, the polarity light problem will also be fixed when the grounding is corrected.

Pete

I've looked at the generator ground and the green wire is attached to a connection next to the 12v starter connections and leads under the generator rather than with the black and white wires leading aft to the ac panel.

I will try to check and see to what and how well the ground wire is attached under the generator.

Without opening things up I cannot see how the wiring to the AC panel is connected.

The rating plate for the generator states 120/240 volt and 75/37.5 amps.
    As best I can tell, there are no 240v circuits on the boat.

The generator is a 2008 9kw Cummins/Onan purchased by the previous owner and installed by a dealer in Orlando, FL

thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi