Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Piano Hinge - Chromed Brass or 304 Stainless Steel for Saltwater Exterior?

I'm freshening up the exterior hardware on my dodger boards, which includes 3 new piano hinges for the dodger doors. Whats better for exterior use in saltwater environment, chromed brass or 304 stainless steel (Polished)? Gut tells me 304 stainless, but maybe something even better then that?

Also, should I use aluminum rivets to fasten hinges to dodger board or stainless steel? The stainless steel rivets I have used in past rusted, probably the mandrel was not stainless. I've had mostly good luck with aluminum rivets, but noticed they were pretty corroded when I drilled out them out. Reckon James Town has right quality Stainless steel rivets if that's the recommended use for saltwater environment.

Thanks All - Scott.

Re: Piano Hinge - Chromed Brass or 304 Stainless Steel for Saltwater Exterior?

Stainless, and you might be able to get 316 rivets from McMaster-Carr. Which they would be worth the extra cost. They might have 316 hinges, if your luck is really in.

In my opinion, I'd use the stainless 304 hinge, for the rivet, aluminum and stainless don't like each other very much in a salt environment, so I don't think I'd use aluminum.

As for the stainless rusting, Fasteners by design are very often magnetic, so you can retrieve them when they fall into places. The rivets you bought may have been 400 series which will have some non-structural rust appearance to keep it magnetic. Same with many stainless screws. Starrett tools uses 400 series so when you drop the scale in the hole you can pull it out with a magnet.

I would think there are many good products that can restore the 400 stainless finish but admit that is too far down my to do list for me to have a recommendation on what to try.

Take a magnet with you to buy the stainless rivets to make sure they are not magnetic. The non magnetic will be much less likely to turn rusty if you can find them. If you can't find 300 series rivets and decide to use aluminum, you could make/buy plastic washers to place between the rivet head and hinge to insulate the materials.
    Bill

I'd use crome plated brass over stainless steel for any item exterior. My boat is over 20 years old and anything that's Crome plated is holding up better than the stainless. Take a look around your boat and compare the difference.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

I forgot about McMaster-Carr, Thanks for reminder Jim. Thinking some nice 316 polished stainless steel ones will do nicely (http://www.mcmaster.com/#piano-hinges/=oylgep)

I'm worried about chrome plated brass - probably made in china without triple plating and thin layer of Chrome. The exterior stainless parts on my 37 year old boat have held up pretty well, its the chrome plated port and starboard lights as well as flag holder are pieces going out to be re-chromed.

All the 316 stainless items on my boat are from McMaster-Carr. They are all holding up perfectly- no rust, no discoloring. Their stuff is generally as advertised and you get it in 24 hours. They are tops in my book- I couldn't keep up my boat and cars without them. Glad they had it.

One problem with ss is crevice corrosion. Salt water trapped under screw heads can cause ss to rust. I'd go with chromed brass as long as you can confirm its quality. Match it with chromed brass screws instead of rivets if that is possible.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Perhaps a minor point, but I used a chrome plated brass piano hinge on my forward hatch a few years back and I could not get used to the way it stood out in comparison with all the stainless nearby. Other people noticed too and would ask about it. Ultimately, I removed it and replaced it with stainless. Admittedly, that may have been the most retentive thing I've ever done on any boat.
    Eric
    Last edited by smoothmove; 10-16-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Glad you mentioned it Eric, that's actually the 4th hinge being replaced while I'm at it. I may even do the 2 piano hinges on the wing doors too.