Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacing Salon Overhead Lights

I have four salon ceiling light fixtures that are set up for lumiline lamps in my 1973 42c. These old bulbs are nearly impossible to find any more and tend to burn out quickly when they are replaced. I am looking a re jigging the fixtures to hold some other type of bulb and I would like to keep the ability to dim the brightness like I have now. Has any one changed these fixtures to something else, my head liner is in very good shape and redoing the ceiling is not really an option.

Thanks

Re: Replacing Salon Overhead Lights

what voltage? make some teak panels that will cover the existing holes and then mount a new fixture of your choice in the teak panel. I would go with led's if it was mine.

I replaced mine with some 18" fluorescents from Wal-Mart @ less than $10 each. Used the same teak frame and lens. I just had to cut the plug off and splice the wiring.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Do you have any working bulbs you want to part with?

If you have the clips, you can probably sell them on e-Bay and make enough to buy your new lamps. They are gold for juke box restorers.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

I have two working bulbs now but would not trust them much longer. I have all eight end clips, e bay sounds good. Floresence wold work but then I will loose the dimming option that I have, same with LEDs.

whoover,
    All of the LED bulbs I have purchased for our home are dimmable. Cree also makes in-ceiling fixtures with the flanges incorporated in the design and are dimmable. Not sure if the mounting depth would become an issue. Home Depot sell them.
    Randy

ive got a set of four lights I just pulled out in good condition, including fixtures. what are they technically called? Ill put them on ebay...

I believe you'll make the most money by selling just the clips. Take a picture and advertise as Lumiline Clips. I got a bunch cheap only because someone didn't know what they had and advertised a wood box as a "Science Light". This was back when the bulbs were still readily available.
    Last edited by Timeout; 10-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

I had the same issue with my 44' Motoryacht, I built my own replacement fixtures using puck lights and even installed a dimmer switch in the circuit. It came out well, and the parts are now readily available. At the time I did this, there were no dimmable LED lights available without installing a transformer in-line, if I had it to do now, I'd go with the LEDs.

DSCN1535.jpg