Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1969 Hatteras Double Cabin, 41' For Sale

With great reluctance I am selling Ms. Kathryn due to changing family circumstances. Every system is new or has been replaced in the last three years, in preparation for cruising South. The twin Yanmar diesels have 330 hours, the genset 30 hours. She is listed with a broker, but as the owner I would be happy to discuss the boat and terms with an interested buyer informally. I don't believe a better deal is likely on a classic boat like this one. She currently sits in her slip on the fuel dock in Annapolis Landing Marina. Interested parties please contact me at 571-201-1531.

Re: 1969 Hatteras Double Cabin, 41' For Sale

Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Interesting boat with the 4 bangers in it. I wonder how economical she is at hull speeds. Others will certainly disagree with that setup but I like it.
    Eric

I don't know, the biggest diesels offered in that boat were the DD 8V53N's, so 260HP at 2400RPM, but also weigh in at approximately 2300 pounds per side. Those Yanmars are pushing 240HP at 3300RPM (so less HP and less torque), but only weigh in at 915 pounds per side. I would say that would give similar performance as with the original 8V53's. This boat seems to be one of the best (if not the best) looking 41TC listed on Yachtworld currently.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothmove View Post
    Interesting boat with the 4 bangers in it. I wonder how economical she is at hull speeds. Others will certainly disagree with that setup but I like it.
    Eric
    Seems to me the seller would be better off touting economy at hull speed (assuming it's noteworthy) as opposed to this...

Cruising Speed: 11-13 k
    Max Speed: 16 k

16 knots is pretty slow, and cruising at 11-13 knots has to be terribly inefficient when hull speed is about 8.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 10-02-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Those engines will not last if run that hard in that boat. They were not made to push that much weight. My dad has a pair in a 31 tiara that runs great. 10k lbs not 35.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I appreciate the discussion about Ms. Kathryn. As it turns out we normally cruise at about 1600-1800 rpm which gets us to 8-9 knots and appears to be very efficient; we have been filling the tanks once a season as we cruise around the Chesapeake Bay area. I agree that the economy must go down at 11-13 since this is above hull speed but without any planing. The nice part about the extra power is that we can power up and get to port or safe harbor with ease when a storm threatens or we want to get home quickly. The advice from the Yanmar folks is to run the engine full out for a stretch on every trip, and we have been doing. The engines are a delight.