Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trash Compactor

Re: Trash Compactor

How about buying a used one with metal gears in really good condition. Worked for us when we did our remodel. Craigslist.

Re: Trash Compactor

We had a trash compactor years ago ('80s) because the house we bought had one. We were a family of four at the time but I never saw much value in the thing and there was frequently some sort of problem with it. I don't remember the specifics but I recall it would jam on a fairly regular basis. I found it to be mostly a PITA.

On our Hatt 53, we used to be out for 7-10 days pretty regularly and never saw a use for one BUT we were normally anchored somewhere where we would dink into town so we could dump trash fairly regularly. If you were on the hook without any access to shore garbage for extended periods, a compactor might be helpful...as long as the darn thing didn't cause more grief than it eliminated.
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-27-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

3. Re: Trash Compactor

We have a Broan 13" on Shellani and use it all the time. I installed it about 6 years ago as the old insitu one was wrecked by PO. Actually bought it used off C List for $100. I compact 2-3 times per day and it works like a charm. Keep the wet out of it and you only have to empty about once a month which represents about 12 days aboard for us. I love it and don't miss the daily garbage runs!