Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trash Compactor

Trash Compactor

I am about to start my galley remodel, having just ordered new cabinets, some of the appliances, etc. In the plans, I have a trash compactor going in. I’d like some opinions/recommendations on trash compactors from those of you who have some history with them either on your boat or in your home. My last experience with one was back in the 70s when I was a kid, and we had one on our house. Other than pushing the button, and it worked, I recall nothing more about them.

I’m looking for comments as to what you have, what you like/don’t like about your particular model, how reliable it’s been, where there is a particular horsepower that I should consider “minimum”, etc. I’m not looking to start a debate over whether a trash compactor should be on the boat.

Most of the time, I will use it as an ordinary trash can and take the trash out every day. We will only use it as a compactor when we spend time on the hook and don’t want to stack up bags of stinky, leaky garbage outside the pilothouse until we can get to a place to properly discard the garbage. Thanks!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Trash Compactor

I ve had a few over the years and we have one on charmer. Forgot the brand, it s really one of these things you don't pay much attention to.

What I d be careful with is how easy it is to fit th compactor bags and how well they come out. Also, how easy is it to clean. I think this is more important than anything else.

And yes, a must have when you spend some time away front dock. We don't use it much here but in the Bahamas when we often have to wait 4 or 5 days to get to a dock, it s nice tony to have garbage juice all over the decks!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hello Angela. I swear by Kitchen Aid. My current one is 5 years old and never had a problem. The one in my other house was many years and still working fine when I sold the house. I use it all the time and you just have to keep it clean and ensure nothing gets in the tracks and over the sides.

Good luck.
    Art

4. Re: Trash Compactor

I have a kitchen aid, original to my 1989 Viking, and it works fine. My comments are the same as Pascal's. We use ours mostly to hold the recycling which we have to take to a center via car, as opposed to trash which we dump at the marina.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Ang-

I have a Sears/Kenmore aboard which appears to be original (1979) and still works perfectly. All the sheet metal inside is galvanized and it has really held up well. I use the compact function every day regardless of whether I am at the dock.

I had a guest aboard who tried to muscle it open while locked and broke the handle and I looked at replacing the whole thing but then had an "attack of the frugals." So I took the front plastic fascia off and remade it out of some scrap teak and laminated some afromosia veneer on to the black slide-in face.

Looks good but feel a little silly spending two days futzing with a 30-plus year old appliance when a brand new Kenmore can be had for less than $400 and the top of the line Kitchen-aid is listed at Sears Appliance for $750.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Thanks for the advice. I've done a little research on trash compactors, and from what I have found, it appears, as expected, they don't make 'em like they used to. Everything I have found is made with plastic gears instead of metal gears like the did in the old days. There are lots and lots of complaints about every brand (even the most expensive ones that are well over $1,000), all relating to the broken plastic gears that only last a few months before you have to pull it out, lay it on it's side and start taking it apart to replace the broken plastic pieces. The new plastic gears are fairly inexpensive, but the hassle would be pretty annoying. I bet if they made them with metal gears, they would last for 30 years or more. If anyone knows of a brand that still uses metal gear, I'd like to know. So far, Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Sears/Kennmore, and GE all use plastic gears. Bummer, but I still have to pick something to fill the 15" space.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Ang, how about a dedicated cooler just for wine bottles, to fit in that 15" space? And get Part 37L to stamp on the trash bags?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Ang, how about a dedicated cooler just for wine bottles, to fit in that 15" space? And get Part 37L to stamp on the trash bags?
    I already have a 40-bottle wine cooler.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

I bought the Kenmore stainless and have used it for 9 months with no problem. I may buy the extended warranty now I know about the plastic gears. It is much quieter than the old one. I use a separate garbage for food when were on the hook so the smelly trash still goes outside.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I bought the Kenmore stainless and have used it for 9 months with no problem. I may buy the extended warranty now I know about the plastic gears. It is much quieter than the old one. I use a separate garbage bag for food when were on the hook so the smelly trash still goes outside.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee