Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Old halon system in bilge

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    A fire inspection place is a company that sells and services fire extinguishing systems. They are located in most urban areas where there are buildings. When I owned a commercial building they would come around once a year to service all the fire extinguishers, around 30. They are able to hydro test the tanks and refill if necessary. The company I went to still had halon if it was necessary to add some.My tank was in good shape and didn't require anything but weighing. He was even willing to come to the boat every year to check and tag it. All the stores in your area are required to have the extinguishers checked every year by the county fire inspector. You can check with any of the stores to see who they use.
    Hi All,

It certainly was frustrating, especially since I caused myself the problem in the first place ie I just HAD to know that the system would work. There are only a handful of companies up here that sell/service the larger extinguishers, one is a fireboy distributor. I had a couple that agreed to at least look at the job, all the others passed.

Of the two that came out to the boat, one said they would inspect it to ensure it was full and functional but would not certify it ei put there name on it. The other didn't want to proceed past looking at the cylinder behind the wall panel.

ALL of them wanted to sell me the latest and greatest system for 4 or 5 k.

I know for a fact that with all the commercial fishing fleet up here that older systems are being inspected and certified everyday. I presume that for personal motor yachts, their strategy is to discourage recertification and push for a replacement and hope the owner caves....just a theory.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi All,

It certainly was frustrating, especially since I caused myself the problem in the first place ie I just HAD to know that the system would work. There are only a handful of companies up here that sell/service the larger extinguishers, one is a fireboy distributor. I had a couple that agreed to at least look at the job, all the others passed.

Of the two that came out to the boat, one said they would inspect it to ensure it was full and functional but would not certify it ei put there name on it. The other didn't want to proceed past looking at the cylinder behind the wall panel.

ALL of them wanted to sell me the latest and greatest system for 4 or 5 k.

I know for a fact that with all the commercial fishing fleet up here that older systems are being inspected and certified everyday. I presume that for personal motor yachts, their strategy is to discourage recertification and push for a replacement and hope the owner caves....just a theory.
    I think I would hop over and talk to one of those commercial guys, and find out who they have inspect them.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Remove the cylinder and weigh it. If it meets the advertised weight, has no obvious corrosion on the cylinder or spray head, take one of two paths.

1. Take it to a fire equipment service company and have it inspected and re-certified - with instructions NOT to discharge or otherwise disable it. If it passes - great. If not, reinstall it without a new date card.

1A. If they tell you they need to hydro-test the cylinder because its hydro stamp date has expired consider saying no and moving on to option 2. There's a good chance that they will destroy the aluminum cylinder trying to remove the valve assembly for the test. If you do have it a hydro test performed, you should not have to pay for new Halon. They should evacuate, store, and replace your halon.

2. If it weights out OK and looks good - reinstall it and sleep well.

These systems are not mandatory, so an out of date system is not a violation. However, if you are getting an insurance premium discount based on having the system it should probably be maintained in a certified condition.

If the weight is OK it still contains the proper amount of Halon. If the tank has no corrosion there is no danger of an unexpected leak. The release valve is a glass capsule holding a metal plug in place. If there is no corrosion around the plug that may cause it to stick when the vial breaks - you're good to go.
    Contacted Pye Barker (NC, SC, & GA). They came out, inspected, weighed and said it's full (Halon), and perfectly usable. Reinstalled it back in the bilge. Job done. Thanks!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."