Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old halon system in bilge

Recently a Power Squadron/USCG Safety Inspection revealed that my manual/automatic old halon fire suppressant system - in the engine room - is out of date. (4 other current portable units were ok and the boat passed inspection). A new 500 cu. ft. manual/automatic Fireboy HFC-227 is going to run about $1,250 (I was thinking a couple of hundred bucks)!
    I'm sure that some of you fellow boaters have been through this and I find it unimaginable to just stick the old unit back in it's brackets knowing that it "probably" still works taking the chance that it does not. Do I have any other options???
    Responses are appreciated.
    (Yes I'm still around...occasionally plying the ICW waters of the Carolinas. Haven't had any serious issues in a long time - knock on wood!)
    Bill
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Old halon system in bilge

Remove the cylinder and weigh it. If it meets the advertised weight, has no obvious corrosion on the cylinder or spray head, take one of two paths.

1. Take it to a fire equipment service company and have it inspected and re-certified - with instructions NOT to discharge or otherwise disable it. If it passes - great. If not, reinstall it without a new date card.

1A. If they tell you they need to hydro-test the cylinder because its hydro stamp date has expired consider saying no and moving on to option 2. There's a good chance that they will destroy the aluminum cylinder trying to remove the valve assembly for the test. If you do have it a hydro test performed, you should not have to pay for new Halon. They should evacuate, store, and replace your halon.

2. If it weights out OK and looks good - reinstall it and sleep well.

These systems are not mandatory, so an out of date system is not a violation. However, if you are getting an insurance premium discount based on having the system it should probably be maintained in a certified condition.

If the weight is OK it still contains the proper amount of Halon. If the tank has no corrosion there is no danger of an unexpected leak. The release valve is a glass capsule holding a metal plug in place. If there is no corrosion around the plug that may cause it to stick when the vial breaks - you're good to go.

+1. The only reason to replace it is if it's empty. I had mine weighed and tagged last Fall.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

The issue is even though you weigh it and are confident it will work some insurance surveyor will flag it if it does not have a sticker . Kind of like the perfectly good hand held extinguishers and flares that always work but are out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know) View Post
    Recently a Power Squadron/USCG Safety Inspection revealed that my manual/automatic old halon fire suppressant system - in the engine room - is out of date. (4 other current portable units were ok and the boat passed inspection). A new 500 cu. ft. manual/automatic Fireboy HFC-227 is going to run about $1,250 (I was thinking a couple of hundred bucks)!
    I'm sure that some of you fellow boaters have been through this and I find it unimaginable to just stick the old unit back in it's brackets knowing that it "probably" still works taking the chance that it does not. Do I have any other options???
    Responses are appreciated.
    (Yes I'm still around...occasionally plying the ICW waters of the Carolinas. Haven't had any serious issues in a long time - knock on wood!)
    Bill
    Well, look what the cat dragged in! Long time, no see.

It's been about 15 years since I owned a boat with an automatic Halon system, but given it's been outlawed, I didn't realize you could recharge them if it became necessary. Based on the responses above, I've learned something.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I took mine to a fire inspection station. They checked it, and tagged it, and charged me $6.00. It is a 1988 model and still good.

Hi all,

Couldn't find any outfit up this way that would inspect and certify older systems. Couldn't be bothered.

I ended up adding a new fireboy MA2 850 CU.FT in the engine room in the last few inches of unused space.

Fire on a boat scares me to death, hopefully I now have redundant systems.

P.S. appx $2000 after much searching and negotiating and whining.
    Last edited by lumina; 08-22-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    I took mine to a fire inspection station. They checked it, and tagged it, and charged me $6.00. It is a 1988 model and still good.
    I too have an '88 year model 40' DCMY. I'm sure you know quite well what I'm going through.
    am not sure what a "Fire Inspection Station is. I'm in Georgia, boat's in SC. I just recently contacted a company that sells Fireboy systems in the Myrtle Beach area to do what one respondent advised - get it inspected and weighed. Haven't heard back yet. Still working on it.
    Thanks.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    The issue is even though you weigh it and are confident it will work some insurance surveyor will flag it if it does not have a sticker . Kind of like the perfectly good hand held extinguishers and flares that always work but are out of date.
    Called my insurance agency. They said that there is no requirement for an engine room fire supressent system. But like Lumina said, I shudder at the thought of an engine room fire!
    Capt'n Bill

A fire inspection place is a company that sells and services fire extinguishing systems. They are located in most urban areas where there are buildings. When I owned a commercial building they would come around once a year to service all the fire extinguishers, around 30. They are able to hydro test the tanks and refill if necessary. The company I went to still had halon if it was necessary to add some.My tank was in good shape and didn't require anything but weighing. He was even willing to come to the boat every year to check and tag it. All the stores in your area are required to have the extinguishers checked every year by the county fire inspector. You can check with any of the stores to see who they use.