Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

32 volt searchlight diagram

Hi all!
    Well, this is cool....
    I was able (through Dave, of the HOF-the best forum in the world...) to procure an old 32 volt searchlight for Mad Hatter. (Ray-Line 41020 1104) These old searchlights just look AWESOME! I have the dash-mount remote control too.
    Here is what I need to get and to know, in order to get it working:
    1) A wire diagram. One that will tell me what remote wires go where in the searchlight base.
    2) Mad Hatter has a 12 volt system but the light is 32 volt. How do I make that increase in voltage?

I am quite excited about this project and I know this might be a bit of a challenge; but these great looking searchlights are worth the effort!
    Any help is appreciated!
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Re: 32 volt searchlight diagram

I have the manual in pdf form. If you will send me a private message with your e-mail address, I can send you the pdf. E-mail function here doesn't seem to allow attachments and this will be over the limit for a forum attachment.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

John,
    Once again, The motors are all 12 volts regardless of input voltage. A power supply is used to drop the motor voltage down. There is no 32 to 12 volt power supply in the light you have. The bulb is 32 volt and will need replacing. Watch e bay for a bulb.

So Hatteras must have used a voltage converter in their installs, I imagine. John, you may be able to find the bulb you need on Interlight's web site.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    So Hatteras must have used a voltage converter in their installs, I imagine. John, you may be able to find the bulb you need on Interlight's web site.
    No not Hatteras but Rayline included a simple power supply with the 24 or 32 volt lights it was installed in the bottom of the housing.

Just an update:
    Thanks all. I was able to pull parts from 2 units and get one unit nearly operational.
    I need a drive motor, and the proper light bulb. (12 volt). The bulb appears to be a 12 volt dual pin bulb. Any suggestions where I can get a motor or the right bulb?
    I will post some pics when able.
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter

John, look for Interlight, I think it is www.interlight.com. I was able to get some unusual 12v bulbs from them a few years ago. If they are still out there.

I recall the horror stories of these 32v bulbs costing in the neighborhood of $75 or more a few years ago. Thereafter, I set out to find a better price for the same bulb. My accounting records indicate I bought 3 of the 32v bulbs for my spotlight in 2009 for $53.31, including shipping, online from a place called "bulbtown". So, you might want to check that out. I still have two bulbs left, but they are not for sale.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Just another update...
    Pretty excited about this. I was able to remove and free up the drive motors and clean the gear cases.
    I put it all back together and viola, I have full motion in the horizontal and vertical planes!
    Now... I just need to find a powerful 12 volt light bulb...(instead of the 32)
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter

FWIW, the clutches in those lights tend to seize up over time if the light is not exercised. So it's a good idea to turn it on every so often and run the light from lock-to-lock in both traverse and elevation.

Atlanta Bulbs used to have the correct bulb - at least for the 32V version. I don't know if they still do but it's worth a check. http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"