Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Weekend Anecdote

I was swapping boat headache stories with our dock neighbor yesterday and he had quite a tale.

So he's got a pristine 07' Silverton 50 convertable with 815hp Volvos. Turns out this season they decided to intermittently not start (not even turn over) - nobody can find the problem. So a few weeks back, after turning the keys on/off for 15mins, the engines suddenly start! So he heads over to a Shelter Island anchorage to enjoy the day -- leaves the engines running the whole time at anchor afraid they wouldn't start again. Goes to pull up the anchor, but no luck. It's snagged in 70ft of water. Tries everything to free it but finally snaps the line -- loses $2000 in ground tackle. Even better, the line whips back and smashes his spotlight -- bang, another $2500. On his way home, notices the starboard engine fuel burn is 2x port side and when he pulls into the harbor starboard engine dies in a cloud of black smoke. 5 mins later, port engine quits - now he's adrift in 20knt wind with no anchor heading straight for a bunch of steel draggers. Gets the port engine running at last minute and finally gets into his slip. Gets the Volvo experts to drive out to Montauk to take a look -- starboard engine needs 2 new injectors. They finish the work and he gets the bill... Wait for it... $10,000! Parts alone were $6000 - $3000 per "kit". Best part is -- engines still don't turn over. He's stuck at the dock.

I walked back to my boat jaw on the ground. hit the start button - engines started up instantly and went out for a cruise. Nothing helps you forget about your small problems better than someone else's BIG problems. And that's a near-new boat!

Sorry for the long winded post (trust me I left out a lot of detai)l, but thought you all might be entertained.
    Jon
    1995 48 MY | 8V92TA DDEC II
    "D-Compression" Montauk, NY

Re: Weekend Anecdote

OUCH!!! Did that "kit" come with pistons?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Lost $2000 in ground tackle? If the line snapped he didn't have any chain... Must have been one of those pretty and shiny stainless steel anchors.

At least he should consider himself lucky that the pulpit didn't snap... It s happened on silvertons
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Lost $2000 in ground tackle? If the line snapped he didn't have any chain... Must have been one of those pretty and shiny stainless steel anchors.

At least he should consider himself lucky that the pulpit didn't snap... It s happened on silvertons
    Yes, it was a beautiful stainless anchor. I said the same thing to him about the pulpit -- if he did have all chain, he might have had more damage. The way he described it was that he almost "buried the bow under the water". Let me add, this guy is quite a "character". He left his boat at anchor with the engines running to take his tender in to the bar on the beach. Always looking for the party!
    Jon
    1995 48 MY | 8V92TA DDEC II
    "D-Compression" Montauk, NY

It's a Silvertob, what the @?!'# is he doing leaving the dock?
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

We should maybe count our blessings, no matter how bad you may think it is, someone has it worse.

That is quite a boating event, I have had many of those. They very in one way or another, But they all suck.......I had a Volvo & that was a common problem I had with mine. it happened all the time, the parts were all made by Bosch & they were proud of them......I had enough & sold the boat.

As far as sticking on the hook, Did he try pulling with power ? I have been stuck many times , Each time it wouldn't pull up , I reverse & give it some juice in a 360 & must have gotten lucky each time. I was taught that ws the correct way to do it if stuck . So far it has worked. I guess everyone dose things differently in boating, I have no formal training in boating , only what I hear & try for myself. I do believe if I could not get my anchor up & it was 2000.00 I know I would have unhooked the line & tied a large bumper to it & marked my way point. then I would at least have a shot at getting it up later or at the very worst have a fixed mooring spot.....

I almost believed my last boat was my last boat, I see that didn't work out either , Glad I got a hatt this time....Hopefully this will be my last boat.....Sea Ray , Carver , Silverton ect. , put them all togeather & you still don't get close to a hatt......

8. Re: Weekend Anecdote

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gwiz View Post
    I had a Volvo & that was a common problem I had with mine. it happened all the time, the parts were all made by Bosch & they were proud of them......I had enough & sold the boat.
    Sold my Volvo car for the same reason.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    OUCH!!! Did that "kit" come with pistons?
    Dealing with Volvo sounds
    like dealing with HO Penn $$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

There's a reason they're green.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375