Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

DD 6V92 TA Coolant replacement

Yesterday I visited my local Detroit Diesel distributor to purchase replacement coolant for my two 6V92 TA engines. It has been a little over 2 years since the coolant was replaced. I had been using PenCool 2000 with distilled water only, since the boat only operates on the Gulf coast. To my suprise Pencool was not stocked anymore at the DD distributor. They recommended Detroit Diesel Power Cool 6000 if no freeze protection was required. I purchased the Power cool 6000 for $43.00 a gallon and drove to the boat to proceed with the replacement process. Has anyone else used this product?
    Thanks,
    Joe Signorelli
    1985 422 Chris Craft Commander
    Barbara Ann
    New Orleans, LA

Re: DD 6V92 TA Coolant replacement

I'm not familiar with Power Cool 6000 but I've been using Power Cool Plus in my 8V71N's, 6V92TA's and 12V92TAB's for the last 15 years.
    Jack Sardina

92 series have wet liners.

It is recommended that you use DD recommended coolant.

71s are dry, you can use automotive/truck coolant.

Detroit has a white paper out there that discusses cooling and recommend coolants. I did a lot of research on this when I switched out my coolant and ultimately settled on Fleet Charge (http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/Fleet-Charge/). 50/50 with distiller water. I use the paper strip and test monthly and it was been working great.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Thanks to all for the comments, I did some research (read the instructions on the container) and looked up the Detroit Diesel coolant specification 7 SE 298 and found out the power cool plus 6000 is a recommended coolant for the 6V92 series engines when no freeze protection is required.
    Thanks,
    Joe