Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I need help with wifi hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Paul View Post
    Had a Rogue Wave on my last Grand Banks and it worked great. Got a Wirie for my LRC while still in Lauderdale and it has never really worked for the entire trip to and including the last year in Nashville. And there is wifi about 50 yards away at the marina office. It's like my Hatt has a force field or something. But they seem to work for everyone else I talk to.
    Well, the LRC does have a copper screen glued into the pilot house roof. It was put in there to ground SSB radio equipment. The screen makes a great force field. Try moving the receiver out of the pilot house?
    Skooch
    58 LRC
    Jarrett Bay Boatworks
    Beaufort NC

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    I Just ordered the rogue wave pro last week. Soon as it get's here and I get it installed I'll report back

http://www.landandseawifi.com/collec...ewifi-roguepro

Hi All,

Based upon Pascals feedback (he never misses) we've used Rouge for 4 years and have been completely satisfied. Easy setup and works with just about any router.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

the rogue wave is actually a bullet from ubiquiti. But their software is much easier to manage than the bios on the bullet, and probably worth the $ unless you are fluent with static IP addresses.

Rogue Wave is more user friendly from the feedback. I have never tried it.

http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BulletM5HP-US
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Ditto on rogue Wave Pro, mine has been up and running for 4 years as well and with the exception of occasionally having to power cycle it (and that has only been because the wifi setup at my club is wonky and locks the chipset up in the Ubiquiti device within the Rogue unit.)

But their tech support is the owner of the company on his cell phone. Cant beat that, and he is a nice guy to boot.

His user interface is set up for non-techies and is just plain easy to use.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Unhappy Re: I need help with wifi hardware

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what your trying to do. Are you trying to set up a network on the boat to receive a wireless signal from the house? A media bridge might be what you need. If you hook two routers together wirelessly I think one has to be in "bridge" mode. As a warning I know just enough about 4k router to be dangerous. I was just trying to think through the problem in case I wanted to do the same thing if the marina ever gets in this century and provides Internet access.
    A high-speed router is necessary, for one, as well as other aspects, but how do you tell if the specs are good enough?

Since this thread has been revived...

I ve pretty much given up on WiFi. Too few open hot spots and in the Exumas the pay service is too limited in bandwidth

I m only relying on cellular, both stateside and in the Bahamas. We use a dual sim cradlepoint mobile cell modem with an unlimited ATT sim and a My Island WiFi unlimited sim for the Bahamas along with a Shakespeare cellular booster plus a Nighthawk Tri Band router. Works very well.

We ve been using My Island WiFi in the Bahamas since December, it s a fantastic service. $75 a month unlimited with no fine print or throttle back. They use BTC towers but truly unlimited. No contract,cancel anytime. With as much as 10 charter guests we use a lot of data in the Exumas and it s been flawless

In my own boat here in Miami I use another unlimited ATT sim in an ATT Unite hotspot. Works very well too

Unless your home marina has excellent WiFi, I no longer see the point of WiFi on board
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal - thanks, the cellular booster sounds like a good option. Is this the unit?

Shakespeare Super Halo 3G 4G LTE RV Marine Cellular Booster. $1,299.00 USD

Also, do you even bother with the Rogue Wave anymore?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Yes it is. I ve gotten as much as 18 miles range with it

I haven’t used the Wave in a couple of years. Actually on the 84 I run now, we have the larger version of the wave, (EC10 I think) but not enough good hotspots to bother. Even at a marina with great free WiFi, like Bay Street Marina in Nassau I don’t bother with unlimited Cell data
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Pascal - thanks, the cellular booster sounds like a good option. Is this the unit?

Shakespeare Super Halo 3G 4G LTE RV Marine Cellular Booster. $1,299.00 USD
    A few months ago Walmart had this unit listed on their web site for about $50, an obvious mistake. I ordered it and held my breath. A few days later a coil of coax cable was delivered, which I returned. Oh, well.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have customers using the route wave all over the area and loving it. They stay around the rivers and marinas and use it for work. Whe. they do head offshore they dont need wireless until they get to their next temporary home office and find the wifi much better than the cellular.

It's what works for them and in the area
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.