Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I need help with wifi hardware

I'm not 100% sure what your trying to do. Are you trying to set up a network on the boat to receive a wireless signal from the house? A media bridge might be what you need. If you hook two routers together wirelessly I think one has to be in "bridge" mode. As a warning I know just enough about routers to be dangerous. I was just trying to think through the problem in case I wanted to do the same thing if the marina ever gets in this century and provides Internet access.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2013...ia-bridge.html
    Something like this would work if I understand what you are wanting to do

Sometimes, it just takes time to figure out a solution to the facts of your particular situation.

I did not need wireless to set up the router for the Sonos ipad controller. I took the gear home and connected the router to the boat's notebook computer at the house and to the house internet connection, set up the router and then loaded the mp3 music on the notebook. I took everything back to the boat and the ipad controller works fine.

The $34 Alfa amplified antenna adapter did not do enough to the signal from the house to be worthwhile. I considered a booster but then learned from searching Amazon that there is such a thing as a "powerline adapter" and selected:

D-Link Systems, Inc. PowerLine AV+ Mini Adapter Starter Kit (DHP-309AV) by D-Link
    4.7 out of 5 stars List Price: $79.99 Price: $52.30

which uses the house wiring to send a signal from the router in the house ( near the boat dock to an adapter plugged into an electrical outlet outside of the house. This will allow me to avoid a cable run inside the house and drilling a hole to run the cable outside the house. The remote adapter has an ethernet plug-in. An Ethernet cable will run from the remote adapter at the house to the boat at the point where there is a telephone and tv cable inlet. I can substitute an ethernet connector for the telephone plug in.

Probably 90% of my expected internet use, outside of G3, would be while the boat is at the dock. A wired connection should be more dependable and faster than a wireless one. Since Lilly Marie is a "traditional" boat, a wired connection seems like the traditional thing to do and how the boat was set up by Hatteras, if you substitute internet connection for telephone connection.

Will see how this works out.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The wirie ap would work. It creates a local network and then detects wifi signals and boosts them. I have one it works great. Easy to set up. Easy to use.

thewirie.com
    I just finished reading all the threads for the last couple of years on setting a WiFi booster/hotspot and I'm leaning towards the Wirie ap. I would like to hear back from anyone who has this system and the ability to have a good signal inside the cabin. In my case it would be mounted on my arch and the cabin is 2 levels below. I like the Wirie ap due to it being total waterproof and ease of setting up.

Appreciate any feedback.
    Art

5. Re: I need help with wifi hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    I just finished reading all the threads for the last couple of years on setting a WiFi booster/hotspot and I'm leaning towards the Wirie ap. I would like to hear back from anyone who has this system and the ability to have a good signal inside the cabin. In my case it would be mounted on my arch and the cabin is 2 levels below. I like the Wirie ap due to it being total waterproof and ease of setting up.

Appreciate any feedback.
    I Just ordered the rogue wave pro last week. Soon as it get's here and I get it installed I'll report back

http://www.landandseawifi.com/collec...ewifi-roguepro
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Have had the Rogue for almost two years. Very satisfied. Great support staff. Well worth the money.

RR

As mentioned last year, I ve been using the rogue for 4 years now and it works really well. I like how you can mount the unit itself inside and run an external antenna. The wirie looks like a good choice too but if the box need to remain attached to the antenna, then you have that colorful box outside. Yeah, it may be waterproof but I wonder how the plastic will fare after a couple of years in the sun down here.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

this is a great thread, just doing the same on my boat. trying to use my apple tv which needs good stream, currently marina wifi is spotty .. the rogue looks like a great option

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As mentioned last year, I ve been using the rogue for 4 years now and it works really well. I like how you can mount the unit itself inside and run an external antenna. The wirie looks like a good choice too but if the box need to remain attached to the antenna, then you have that colorful box outside. Yeah, it may be waterproof but I wonder how the plastic will fare after a couple of years in the sun down here.
    I sent you a PM.
    Art

Had a Rogue Wave on my last Grand Banks and it worked great. Got a Wirie for my LRC while still in Lauderdale and it has never really worked for the entire trip to and including the last year in Nashville. And there is wifi about 50 yards away at the marina office. It's like my Hatt has a force field or something. But they seem to work for everyone else I talk to.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC